99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 99 Explorer 19tv restoration question

Post by Explorer 19TV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:07 pm

D2227D7F-7DCE-429D-8484-602C85DEA0BC.jpeg
This looks like the stringer is starting to fail, there is some sort of brown stuff looks like mud when you rub it off.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Explorer, is the wood wet as well? Jeff

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:38 pm

Explorer,

The simple answer is "When in doubt, rip it out." If there is any chance that any of the stringers, frames, and deck is wet just rip everything out and do it over the right way. Before you go taking everything out make sure you take good measurements of stringer/frame size and placement. You don' t want to guess when you go to re-install everything. In my experience it is best to take out the entire deck, all the way to the sides of the hull. This way you can ensure that you fillet and tape in the deck the right way.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:43 pm

Sounds great :D. Rip it out it is. And yes everything I can see is soaked and was not coated. Hear we go. :D

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm

Quick question,

I would assume that it’s ok to leave on its trailer or do I need to brace up anything prior to cutting out deck?

I assume by the looks of the grain that the existing core is fir and if it’s saturated it’s done can’t reuse?

Thanks

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:55 pm

If anything is wet, damp, or has been wet in the past it should come out. Why do all this work only to leave questionable wood in the boat.

If you are needing to take out stringers and frames, as well as decking, then I would brace the boat. You don't want the hull to twist on you.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:01 pm

What’s the best method on bracing? Boat does not have poured in flotation so I could do one or two stringers at a time.

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 pm

Jeff wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:27 pm
Explorer, is the wood wet as well? Jeff
Jeff,

Wood is soaked. It’s a shame

Explorer 19TV
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Explorer 19TV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Reid wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:55 pm
If anything is wet, damp, or has been wet in the past it should come out. Why do all this work only to leave questionable wood in the boat.

If you are needing to take out stringers and frames, as well as decking, then I would brace the boat. You don't want the hull to twist on you.

Reid
Thanks for the replies, was thinking I was gonna be alone on this one :D.

So I got a large 5x5 hole cut this evening didn’t have phone for pic but will post tomorrow, please understand prior to describing what I found that I am not bashing anyone nor would. I understand that some companies cut corners to increase profit BUT;

The use of drywall screws for structural is a little at question to me, stringers are butt joined this way and in-line with each other (no glue or glass, screws only) :D of courses salt water loves these. One butt block was laying on the bottom
1-2 inch tabs on stringers
Some stringers coated most not at all (became a sponge)
Floatation thrown in, pieces full of water
Deck fastened with drywall screws (explains the reason the deck lifted under pressure) all rusted to nothing
One good thing so far is I did drill a hole through transom and it was bone dry.
Rigging tube not sealed (I’m sure this had a lot to do with a lot of the moisture, forward drains run through it :doh:
Forward deck is solid and glassed on both sides
Stringers and deck seem solid but are soaked.

So next step is to pull engine, jack plate and remove the remaining deck and center console, trailer bunkers are sitting right inline with stringer placement. Would this be enough supporting the hull for gutting?

Would it be ok to use fir ply to replace the deck and stringers?
I can assure you it will all be covered as it should. Just asking because of shipping and cost, everything I see is at least 3/4 or better.

I welcome all and any comments and suggestions as this will be my first go at a rebuild. Thanks

Travis

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:44 am

Explorer 19TV wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:57 pm
Reid wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:55 pm

Reid
Thanks for the replies, was thinking I was gonna be alone on this one :D.
I welcome all and any comments and suggestions as this will be my first go at a rebuild. Thanks

Travis
I am quoting you so I can always say "well you asked" :lol:
So now you have gone and done it. You opened Pandoria's box and look what you found :help:
I hope you got that thing at a good price cause you are about to spend some money and time if you want to make it right. That is the bad news...................but I do have a little good news which I am guessing you would want to hear.
You now have the chance to make this thing way better than new. To do that you need to take her down to a bare hull from what you have described so far. Decks are wet and the stringers are rotten.
If it were me I would get the motor and console off and anything else I could to start with. I know you said you do not have a way to flip the hull but I see plenty of stuff to do it easily. Hang a nylon strap from your barn and one off the tractor and you can flip it no problem. This will let you fix the bottom and build a cradle that fits the hull perfectly.
One more thing. Figure out what you will need and give Reid a call. Let him give you a shipping quote. It might surprise you. If they can ship to Alaska and make it work cost wise then shipping to one of the little states should be no problem. I will stop for now as this should be plenty for you to chew on for a while :wink: