Why use Silvertip Epoxy?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Why use Silvertip Epoxy?

Post by eagle24 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I've purchased several 3 gal kits of Marine Epoxy for smaller boats and for a camper I am building. Why are so many here using Silvertip at nearly double the price of Marine Epoxy? I just want to know the difference. I'm sure I'll order some Silvertip once I hear the answer. :D

PS. I must be really bad at searching. I'm sure this has been discussed, but I got tired of opening "Silvertip" threads and not finding much info other than there seems to be a consensus that Silvertip is better for laminating.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Why use Silvertip Epoxy?

Post by piperdown » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:28 pm

It will be interesting to see what people here say. I've only used the Marine epoxy and haven't had any issues with it. Without using Silvertip I have no basis for comparison either.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 pm

I have used both, but probably 90% of it was Silvertip. I think it was because I did not need to sand between applications (even though I do it a bit), and because I felt ok laying it wet on wet over the EZ-Fillet. I'm sure the Marine Epoxy is good too, just sand well between applications.

Casey
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eagle24 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:17 pm

flyfishingmonk wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 pm
I have used both, but probably 90% of it was Silvertip. I think it was because I did not need to sand between applications (even though I do it a bit), and because I felt ok laying it wet on wet over the EZ-Fillet. I'm sure the Marine Epoxy is good too, just sand well between applications.

Casey
I think wet on wet is the preferred MO with all the epoxies used for boat building. I can tell you from experience with the Marine Epoxy that it doesn't blush much. I was told you don't have to sand if you apply the next coat within 24 hrs. I've gotten very good results with the Marine Epoxy and have used probably 12 or so gallons. I feel pretty confident there is something with the Silvertip that makes it worth the price difference. I just don't know what it is.

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:19 pm

I used all Marine Poxy and I used the slow hardener and never had any blush. Did a lot of wet on wet, if I went much over a 24 hour period I would sand to get a good mechanical bond.

My boat is still floating :lol:
Completed: FL14, OD18

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Talk to Jeff about this test kit,
MarinEpoxy Trial Kit/Small Repair Kit

I only use MarinEpoxy with slow hardener. When I first started my FS14, I used S3 Silver tip products, all of them. QuickFair is very good!!

Then started getting low on funds..... So I bought MarinEpoxy and wood flour, never went back to S3. There is a learning curve, but that's boat building.

Now on my second build LM18, MarinEpoxy only. Glue and filler is easy to make, wood flour and epoxy!

Good luck and remember you can always change epoxy brands, need to wait to full cure or check with Jeff (BBC) to see if necessary.

Bob..
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:14 pm

I've used everything BUT Silvertip, I think. West, Marinepoxy, Smith's, hardware store brand X, Tap Plastics.
I've never had a failure with any of them that wasn't some dumb ass mistake on my part.
Tony

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:32 pm

Nothing but Marine Epoxy on both my boats. Used Raka on the cedar strip canoe.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 pm

I’ve used marinepoxy, raka, silvertip and crapoxy by fgc. Except for the crapoxy, they all work great with no blush.
The silvertip costs more but works the best.
Especially when you are looking for a low viscosity and clean layup.
Used silvertip on my strip canoe, very happy with the way it worked...
6C90E4F8-7C6C-4DF2-BC3E-073977D361BF.jpeg
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:35 pm

That is an unbelievable beauty of a boat!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne