Fairing mixture.

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Fairing mixture.

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:14 pm

Mike I forgot using a notched spreader, I use one for when I laminate the plywood together. It has different size notches on each edge. I guess to control how much build up, I always use the smallest.

Believe me, I too want to avoid sanding as much as I can!

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 pm

seaslug wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:09 pm
I've never had much of a problem with pinholes using just micro balloons, or with a little silica on vertical areas to prevent sagging. The small amount of pin holes are easy enough to fill in later before priming. I find the best way to get and even fairing thickness is to spread the filler on with a notched spreader, than quickly pull a wide flat spreader across to flatten the notches. Same concept as laying tile using a notched trowel for thin set. I waste very little material this way, by paying close attention to film thickness, and working slow and methodical at this crucial stage. Anything to avoid too much sanding. Mike
Are you pulling over wet notched spreader? Or uncured?
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:21 am

Fallguy, not sure I understand your question. I spread the filler with the little 4 sided notched spreader from West System, then flatten it out immediately with this spreader from Lowes. This is also the best spreader I've found for moving epoxy around when doing your lay up.
Attachments
boat build, chine stitching 062.JPG

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:10 am

I'm definitely going to try the notched trowel on the port side and bottom.

What I gathered reading this is:

Mix up fairing compound
Put fairing compound on the hull
Spread it around with the smallest sized notched trowel
Immediately take a wide blade flat trowel and smooth it down

Look correct?
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:18 am

piperdown wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:10 am
I'm definitely going to try the notched trowel on the port side and bottom.

What I gathered reading this is:

Mix up fairing compound
Put fairing compound on the hull
Spread it around with the smallest sized notched trowel
Immediately take a wide blade flat trowel and smooth it down

Look correct?

Sounds like a plan...

Photo's please....
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:39 am

Piperdown the way I understand it is the notches of the trowel need to be deeper than the spot to are fairing. I stated I use the smallest notches on my laminates due to it being a flat surface and both pieces that are getting glued together get the glue.

If I understand fairing correctly you are going for an even surface, so fill in all the low spots to equal the high spots. Building up the low spots higher than the high points. That is where the contrast coat comes in. You sand everything with your long board to reveal all the low spots, the contrast coat in low spots is still there and those are the areas that need filling. You trowel on your filler in the center of the low spots and spread to the edges to match the edges of the high spots, pulling filler, very thin over the high spots. Let cure and sand till you start see high spots again. When you are happy with all the sanding you do another contrast coat and you should be able to sand all the contrast coat off with very little sanding. It is kind of the way I would do it on my R/C hulls but at a 1/30th scale and my long board was 4" long. :D
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 am

Everyone will develop their own method with trial and error, and part of that process will be determining what notch size/depth you want for a particular area. I just think using a notched spreader is the best way to achieve a uniform, thin as possible filler thickness and have less sanding and less waste. I mix relatively small batches so the filler is easy to spread without it starting to get too thick. Filling in the really low spots first and letting that cure before going over the entire hull will also help save time and material. The key is to work neatly at all times with your fairing so there is minimal sanding. Mike

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 am

You guys would be laughing your azzes off if you saw how I mud and tape drywall and then compare that to fairing..... equally horrible at first but the end result looks good. We are remodeling some large spaces at work. I stood and watched the drywall guys (probably just stared!) for a good 20 mins admiring how easy and smooth they laid the tape and mud.

Thing is, Gasp!, I don't mind sanding all that much. It reminds me a lot of shaping wood (which it sorta is). Only thing I don't care for is how sweaty I get with a respirator on.

Still going to try the notch trowel on the port side, at least in a small area and see how it goes.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:10 am

seaslug wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:21 am
Fallguy, not sure I understand your question. I spread the filler with the little 4 sided notched spreader from West System, then flatten it out immediately with this spreader from Lowes. This is also the best spreader I've found for moving epoxy around when doing your lay up.
I figured you ran the notched and then sanded. I did not realize you run the notched and then immediately go over wet material.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495