kiwigrip getting hard in the can

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

kiwigrip getting hard in the can

Post by thb » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:33 am

I had 3 partial gallons of kiwigrip still in their original cans which I was going to use on my FS17. The tops were down tight. When I opened all 3 cans the other day I found they had all set up hard as a rock. On closer inspection, the cans rusted thru from the inside at the seam in the can. SOAB. It had been 2 or 3 years since I had used them. What a waste of a very good product.

Has anyone else had issues with the kiwigrip setting up during storage due to the can rusting out at the seam????

Regards
Tom

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: kiwigrip getting hard in the can

Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:47 am

Tom, the only experience of Kiwi going bad that I am aware of is when the product is allowed to freeze. When the product is exposed to freezing temperatures it is ruined almost immediately. Never heard of the seams rusting!! Jeff

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:08 am

Paint needs to be stored in a controlled climate.

The problem that can occur in uncontrolled is temp swings which can cause condensation inside the can.

Otherwise, you can use the can pinch method or shrink wrap open cans, but my guess is these rusted when the cans heated and cooled and condensed inside.

Sorry if I sound patronizing here. Just that I realized this over years of losing paint to rust inside the can..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am

I don't know what's in Kiwi Grip, but most modern latex paints contain ammonia that will eat through a metal can in about three years. I have no idea if this would help, but they make an inert gas in an aerosol can to spray in the paint can before sealing that will displace the air, it helps with some coatings.

Did your cans rust from the inside out or the outside in? Salt air?
Hank

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:26 pm

All 3 cans were stored inside my climate controlled shop. It never was allowed to freeze or get too hot. The cans seemed to rust from the inside so maybe the ammonia was the cause.

Jeff, thanks for getting the new cans shipped out yesterday. I bought the gallon of Blue and Quart of White in case I want to tint the blue and make it a little lighter to match the hull and console which are painted in interlux light blue.

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Tom, Absolutely!! Thank you for your continued business!! Again, outside of freezing, I have not heard of the stuff going bad, sorry it happened to you!! Jeff

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 am

My buddy who wanted to watch the kiwigrip application yesterday told me of a product which is called "Bloxygen" which will keep the paint remaining in the can from skimming over. I am going to use it on the opened can of kiwigrip. I think it should prevent rusting of the can from the inside. Amazon sells a can for 12.95. Why not try it, hey. Will read more about it when the can arrives.

Regards
Tom

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 am

pee wee wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 am
. . they make an inert gas in an aerosol can to spray in the paint can before sealing that will displace the air, it helps with some coatings.
thb wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 am
My buddy who wanted to watch the kiwigrip application yesterday told me of a product which is called "Bloxygen" which will keep the paint remaining in the can from skimming over. I am going to use it on the opened can of kiwigrip. I think it should prevent rusting of the can from the inside. Amazon sells a can for 12.95. Why not try it, hey. Will read more about it when the can arrives.

Regards
Tom
That's the stuff I was referring to. It works great for varnish and oil base paints that skin over, and for latex paints when they get low in the can and dry. I think transferring to a plastic container is the most likely solution for the can rusting, though.
Hank

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:04 pm

I can't seem to find the KiwiGrip listed in the store. Am I searching wrong?

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:20 am

I haven't had any Kiwi Grip rust, but I have had SilverTip Yacht Primer rust from the inside out. Took quite a few years but it did happen. I've had partial cans of Kiwi Grip that I've opened and closed with less than 1/8 can that I'm still using going on 10 years. I think the Primer took over 5-6 years to rust?
I know this don't really help you, but thought I'd let you know my experience.
Completed: FL14, OD18