Carbon mast extention mounting question

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Carbon mast extention mounting question

Post by gonandkarl » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Hi,
As you all know I am old and with this old age comes less strength and balance feeling and this is why I ordered a carbon mast weighing 3,4 KG.
It consists of 2 three metre long round pipes with a inner diameter of 51 mm which I want to connect them with 60 cm of carbon pipe of 50 mm outer diameter.
Only the lower half of the mast will have the connection pipe glued in and the top half will be just put together for easy transport inside the hull.

My question to you is: How can I ensure to get epoxy evenly over the 30 cm where I glue the pipes together ?

My own idea is to sand the 30 cm which will be connected with 120 sandpaper a bit then brush epoxy with a 30 cm long brush on the inside of the 3 meter pipe and also brush epoxy on the 60 cm pipe and push it 30 cm into the lower half of the mast pipe. Will this produce an even distribution of epoxy and will it fill the 1 mm in diameter difference ? Or should I calculate how much mixed epoxy one needs for the connecting surface and 1mm high ? I am not sure and therefore I am asking for ideas..

As I did not get any answer on this question, I follow it up with another question about my carbon mast.

In the carbon mast tutorial it does not say if one should paint the mast and this is exactly my question.
Should I paint the carbon mast ?
As it is made of carbon and epoxy would the mast deteriorate because of UV if I leave it unpainted ?
I tend to paint it white with my normal paint with which I painted the whole boat. I hope to keep the heat away from the carbon mast if it is painted a light colour.
Greetings from Karl

All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Carbon mast extention mounting question

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:36 am

Is there anybody out there with experience in painting a carbon mast ?

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:35 pm

To glue in the inner pipe you should use thickened epoxy. Can be premix like gel magic or thixo, or you can mix your own. It should fill the 1/2mm gap you have all around but I think you will need to be careful about alignment to keep them concentric while it cures. I also think it it will be too loose for a friction fit between sections, but a wrap of cloth tape might make it tight enough. You don't want the parts wiggling around.

You should either paint it or clear coat it using varnish or automotive clear to protect from UV. There's a chance it was clear coated by the manufacture if they don't mention you painting it. It kind of looks that way in the picture to me, raw carbon isn't usually that smooth. I've use spray automotive clear over a repair in a carbon mast, because it doesn't yellow like varnish. Spray would be the easiest way to paint the whole mast I think. The surface area doesn't look huge so rattle cans would probably be fine whether you paint or clear coat.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi,
Thank you so much Joe2700. I will adhere to all your advises. You are right the expensive pipe is clear coated, but this is exactly the pipe which I will use as the inside connection, only the 20 cm at the masthead I do not have to paint. I will paint the whole mast white the same as I did with boom and yard. e The added effect of the white colour I hope will be no heating up of the carbon.
Thanks again and I will soon show pictures of my mast progress.
Greetings from Karl