UV Cure resin

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

UV Cure resin

Post by MikeyGnz » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:35 pm

I've been reading KnottyBuoyz TW28 and some other builds and there always seems to be a desire to work wet on wet but time limitations make this difficult. There are also issues with wetting out glass well and avoiding dry spots.

We have been doing a bit of sewer pipe rehab lately at work and one of the newer products is a uv light cured resin. This is a single pot epoxy resin that insread of a hardener to polymerise the resin uses uv light. The pipe liner is a big tube of mat backed fg cloth that is wet out then installed but it will not cure until they run a uv light through it or leave it in sunlight. For example
https://www.relineeurope.com/en/technol ... _index.php

I don't know the strength properties of the resin but if it is the same as a traditional epoxy like system 3 would this work for a boat. You would be able to cut cloth to size, wet out the cloth by dunking in a bucket of resin, apply to hull, work out bubbles, repeat untill all cloth is on then turn on uv lamps and full cure in a few hours. Would need to work inside under uv cut bulbs of course.

Anyone tried or looked into this? I am not doing a fg build but more asking out of curiousity.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: UV Cure resin

Post by BB Sig » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:50 pm

It is not as strong. I've used it for tying flies and it doesn't ever get as hard as MarinEpoxy.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:25 pm

That sounds like what my dentist uses to fill my teeth.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:29 pm

check out the viscosity; pretty sure it is entirely different animal, plus uv is all around all the time, so you would need to work in a dark place with no uv
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Netpackrat wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:25 pm
That sounds like what my dentist uses to fill my teeth.

That was my first thought too.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

MikeyGnz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MikeyGnz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:25 pm

Thanks for the answers everyone. I won't bother asking the rep about wholesale next time he comes through.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Another point that you mentioned in your original post was inability to work wet on wet due to time constraints. On my build last year to avoid sanding between layups, I used a lot of peel ply. It adds some cost but besides reducing the labor it reduced the amount of dust introduced into my shop and reduced the need to remove blush between layups.

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 am

Netpackrat wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 pm
Another point that you mentioned in your original post was inability to work wet on wet due to time constraints. On my build last year to avoid sanding between layups, I used a lot of peel ply. It adds some cost but besides reducing the labor it reduced the amount of dust introduced into my shop and reduced the need to remove blush between layups.
It reduces labor but you still won't get the additional strength of a chemical bond if you allow the epoxy to cure between coats. Just saves you cleaning and sanding.

Netpackrat
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 am

joe2700 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:18 am
It reduces labor but you still won't get the additional strength of a chemical bond if you allow the epoxy to cure between coats. Just saves you cleaning and sanding.
That's correct. Wet on wet is absolutely better but when I couldn't do that, I was at least able to reduce the labor and the amount of dust generated. I went to a lot of trouble where the latter was concerned... I used dust collection on my tools wherever possible and I also hung a big dust eater filtration unit from the ceiling. Still got more dust in the shop than I would have preferred but it was probably a small fraction of what would otherwise have been generated. Peel ply seems to be one of those things for which there is no real downside other than cost.