Batch failures

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Batch failures

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:09 pm

Today, I realized my big issue is my buckets are 2 oz minimum or a 6 oz epoxy batch, so I need to get a scale involved. All the dinky buckets have fallen off over the course of the project.

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:09 pm
Today, I realized my big issue is my buckets are 2 oz minimum or a 6 oz epoxy batch, so I need to get a scale involved. All the dinky buckets have fallen off over the course of the project.
With all the epoxy you have mixed the past year I am surprised you can not just do it by eyeball. Small batches I just look at and say thats 2-1 and go with it. Yet to have a bad batch. Same for quickfair. I use plastic spoons and match the amount on the spoons by eye.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:49 pm
fallguy1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:09 pm
With all the epoxy you have mixed the past year I am surprised you can not just do it by eyeball. Small batches I just look at and say thats 2-1 and go with it. Yet to have a bad batch. Same for quickfair. I use plastic spoons and match the amount on the spoons by eye.
I think I am more conditioned to a common batch. I make a lot of 4/8 or 12 oz batches. It is the little ones that throw me, but honestly I am always doing calculations and the batches vary from as big as say 140 to as little as an ounce.

Pretty sure I was hardener heavy cuz I figured that was okay until neko corrected me silly arse.

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:22 am

I use one cap of hardner and two of resin for small batches.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:42 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 am
A scale is very handy when measuring the two part foams too. I do a lot of small pours of that stuff in 16oz solo cups.
What ratio for weight do you use?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:01 pm

BB Sig wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:42 am
OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 am
A scale is very handy when measuring the two part foams too. I do a lot of small pours of that stuff in 16oz solo cups.
What ratio for weight do you use?
Since 2 pounds of expanding foam equals 1 cubic foot I use that as how much of each part divided by two converted to grams. I figure about how many cubic inches/feet of area I want to fill and then the amount of foam, by weight, it would take to fill it. Because the foam will dome up as it touches the sides and grows upward. I limit to a big pour and then smaller pours to get the corners without to much waste.

The foam in liquid form weights the same in the expanded form. If you know how much area you want to fill then divide that by the weight of the foam. 16 ounces by weight of part A and 16 ounces of part B, by weight and not volume, will expand to fill one cubic foot of area if you are using 2 pound foam.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:43 pm

Lol. We are talking two different things. MarinEpoxy resin and hardener have a different density and you cannot mix according to the volume 2:1. I ASSumed the foam had a similar issue.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:31 pm

BB Sig wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:43 pm
Lol. We are talking two different things. MarinEpoxy resin and hardener have a different density and you cannot mix according to the volume 2:1. I ASSumed the foam had a similar issue.
I start with 100 grams of resin to 43 grams of hardener on the 1:2 epoxy. Add or multiply with that being the base. I pour resin in first and zero out and then the hardener. plus or minus a gram here and there and comes out great. But really small batches below 25 grams of resin I avoid if I can because it gets to close to being exact or it fails.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:05 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:31 pm
BB Sig wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:43 pm
I start with 100 grams of resin to 43 grams of hardener on the 1:2 epoxy. Add or multiply with that being the base. I pour resin in first and zero out and then the hardener. plus or minus a gram here and there and comes out great. But really small batches below 25 grams of resin I avoid if I can because it gets to close to being exact or it fails.
The smallest batch ever made here is 30ml. I use medicine cups.

But those are only for dry batches of thixos.