Marideck Vinyl Boat Flooring

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Artmann
New Poster
New Poster

Marideck Vinyl Boat Flooring

Post by Artmann » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:24 pm

I came across the product in the title while searching for an alternative floor covering for my nearly completed GF16. It seems like a good and not too expensive alternative to truck bed liner and similar products. I called their technical service and the guy I talked to was unaware of it ever having been tried for on raw epoxy/fiberglass surfaces. I am getting some samples to experiment with but am wondering if anyone has ever tried this or a similar product.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Marideck Vinyl Boat Flooring

Post by Jeff » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:10 pm

Art, sorry, I have never heard of this product!!! Please tell us what you think when you have tested it!! Jeff

Artmann
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Artmann » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Since my original post, I have found several brands of sheet vinyl boat floor covering. Another brand is Nautolex and it can be bought on Amazon. It seems to me these products could solve the problem of having to fair the floor and paint after laminating with fiberglass. The instructions for these products say to use contact cement to adhere the flooring to the substrate. Can I use contact cement directly over biaxial fiberglass saturated with epoxy or do I need to apply fairing compound first or what?

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Artmann wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm
Since my original post, I have found several brands of sheet vinyl boat floor covering. Another brand is Nautolex and it can be bought on Amazon. It seems to me these products could solve the problem of having to fair the floor and paint after laminating with fiberglass. The instructions for these products say to use contact cement to adhere the flooring to the substrate. Can I use contact cement directly over biaxial fiberglass saturated with epoxy or do I need to apply fairing compound first or what?

I did the Nautolex on my FS14, looks great, but..... the glue from them and contact cement sucks! The vinyl will bubble up in direct sunlight. I'm still using the SandPiper (FS14), so until I finish the LM18 I will put up with the weird decks. I will be removing the vinyl later. It's as much work as work boat finish in paint. So go with paint, much easier to sand paint off then the glue!

Here are some photos of my FS14 build SandPiper,

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62686&p=430973&hilit=vinyl#p430973
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 am

Capt UB wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:43 pm
Artmann wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:04 pm
I did the Nautolex on my FS14, looks great, but..... the glue from them and contact cement sucks! The vinyl will bubble up in direct sunlight.
I've worked a lot with contact cements and there are two common ways to de-laminate stuck material- solvents and heat. Direct sunlight during the summer months is more than enough to do the job, and that's a problem if you want things to stay in place.

They do make a heat resistant contact cement, so if you go the vinyl route I'd check those out.

https://www.yourautotrim.com/1galohitehe.html
Hank