Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
Post Reply
User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, Florida
Location: Central Florida USA

Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

Post by Capt UB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:55 am

Just about to order some rollers from BBC and had know idea which to order... Corona-glasskoter, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white.

I have bought rollers off the shelf from Lowes when they sold rollers for epoxy (they don't carry them now)! I'm at a loss on which to buy. Right now it's just epoxy coating ply and putting on the graphite/epoxy mix. Primer and paint will be later.

Any help would be great,

Bob


><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:34 pm
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Re: Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

Post by Reid » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:29 am

Capt UB,

For epoxy work, get the 1/8" nap, Red Corona rollers. The reason the 1/8" nap works well is they do not soak up much epoxy thus giving you longer work time with your rollers. We have them in 3", 4", 7", and 9" widths.

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, Florida
Location: Central Florida USA

Re: Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

Post by Capt UB » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:33 pm

Reid wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:29 am
Capt UB,

For epoxy work, get the 1/8" nap, Red Corona rollers. The reason the 1/8" nap works well is they do not soak up much epoxy thus giving you longer work time with your rollers. We have them in 3", 4", 7", and 9" widths.

-Reid


Thanks Reid. I ordered 4 red 1/8 and a 7" roller holder.

Bob.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3839
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:54 pm

Capt - don't forget to use pvc when you can!

There are times when you need the purchased rollers and other times when pvc pipe works. Wipe and reuse! Acetone eats em.

I have to order some rollers for epoxy paint. Reid - give me a call!
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, Florida
Location: Central Florida USA

Re: Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

Post by Capt UB » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:53 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:54 pm
Capt - don't forget to use pvc when you can!

There are times when you need the purchased rollers and other times when pvc pipe works. Wipe and reuse! Acetone eats em.

I have to order some rollers for epoxy paint. Reid - give me a call!
PVC pipe for what?

I normally pour the mix, then using a spreader push the mix around, then roll it to help level and remove the excessive mix.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 3839
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

Post by fallguy1000 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:23 am

You can use a pvc pipe roller for wetting out.

It works well on flat surfaces; dare say better than foam rollers or phenolic adhesive rollers.

Where pvc fails is on vertical surfaces as it has no loading potential.

Use 1.5" pipe.

Sometimes you gotta bend out the wire frame on the roller or look for a thicker roller frame.

This in no way to harm Jeff and company. If I had to use phenolic foam/hair rollers for all my work here; it would have been a budget catastrophe.

If you have a part with some vertical area like 3/4" ply panels; just chip brush the edges or hard spots.

The pvc won't dry up anything for you. For that; you can use the Rutan method and a squeegee.

I only use foam or hair rollers on vertical wetouts.
A8A52C83-E051-413B-B154-5EB2709326CF.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

User avatar
Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm
Location: DeLand, Florida
Location: Central Florida USA

Re: Corona-glasskoter rollers, what nap 1/4 or 3/8, red or white

Post by Capt UB » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:43 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:23 am
You can use a pvc pipe roller for wetting out.

It works well on flat surfaces; dare say better than foam rollers or phenolic adhesive rollers.

Where pvc fails is on vertical surfaces as it has no loading potential.

Use 1.5" pipe.

Sometimes you gotta bend out the wire frame on the roller or look for a thicker roller frame.

This in no way to harm Jeff and company. If I had to use phenolic foam/hair rollers for all my work here; it would have been a budget catastrophe.

If you have a part with some vertical area like 3/4" ply panels; just chip brush the edges or hard spots.

The pvc won't dry up anything for you. For that; you can use the Rutan method and a squeegee.

I only use foam or hair rollers on vertical wetouts.

A8A52C83-E051-413B-B154-5EB2709326CF.jpeg
Going to try this, maybe this weekend. Thanks.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest