Tipping not getting out lines.

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Tipping not getting out lines.

Post by terrulian » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:14 pm

I'm gratified, under the heading of schadenfreude, to find that I'm not the only one who was exasperated by painting. It seems like I tried at least a dozen combinations of brushes, rollers, thinning, and temperature. But I finally got it and now can do it easily, which is kind of astonishing. Really good light is essential, for one thing. Nothing I could tell you would really be applicable as you are a different guy with different paint in a different climate, so ignore this, but what eventually worked was not thinning too much, putting a lot of paint on about 1 square yard at a time with a foam roller, and then tipping with the same roller with most of the paint out of it, by BARELY touching the surface. It's not what I've seen recommended by anyone else, so, like I say, ignore it except for the bit about it taking a huge amount of experimentation. Best of luck. :D

Tony

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:40 pm

terrulian wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:14 pm
I'm gratified, under the heading of schadenfreude, to find that I'm not the only one who was exasperated by painting. It seems like I tried at least a dozen combinations of brushes, rollers, thinning, and temperature. But I finally got it and now can do it easily, which is kind of astonishing. Really good light is essential, for one thing. Nothing I could tell you would really be applicable as you are a different guy with different paint in a different climate, so ignore this, but what eventually worked was not thinning too much, putting a lot of paint on about 1 square yard at a time with a foam roller, and then tipping with the same roller with most of the paint out of it, by BARELY touching the surface. It's not what I've seen recommended by anyone else, so, like I say, ignore it except for the bit about it taking a huge amount of experimentation. Best of luck. :D
Honestly, just rolling it might have come out better. Our lighting is all messed up under gantry and dust tent.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by joe2700 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 am

I'm feeling for fallguy, but this is reinforcing my decision to outsource the painting to a pro. Unlike the epoxy work you can't just sand away your mistakes, and it seems like the only way to learn is a lot of expensive trial and error for the exact environment and weather you are in. Painting is back magic is what I'm trying to say.

Easy for me to say though, as painting an FS17 will be so much cheaper than his massive project.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 pm

joe2700 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:24 am
I'm feeling for fallguy, but this is reinforcing my decision to outsource the painting to a pro. Unlike the epoxy work you can't just sand away your mistakes, and it seems like the only way to learn is a lot of expensive trial and error for the exact environment and weather you are in. Painting is back magic is what I'm trying to say.

Easy for me to say though, as painting an FS17 will be so much cheaper than his massive project.
I had a boat painter no quote me because he said he could paint like 5-10 boats in the time it would take.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 pm
I had a boat painter no quote me because he said he could paint like 5-10 boats in the time it would take.
Seems like bad businessman. Should be the same rate for 1 boat as it is for 10 boats of the time is the same. It’s actually higher profit if he does it right. His loss.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:35 pm
fallguy1000 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:05 pm
Seems like bad businessman. Should be the same rate for 1 boat as it is for 10 boats of the time is the same. It’s actually higher profit if he does it right. His loss.
Had house painter no quote me because he said he could do 6 houses in the time it would take to paint my house and he would gross 12-18k and knew I wasn't gonna pay him 18k.

Boat same story I suppose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:54 pm

His assessment of “what the customer will pay” is irrelevant. The cost is the cost. I’ve had more profit from “they will never pay” contracts than anything else.

But then they may be bad estimators. There’s no way you make more in 6+ set up and tear-downs than one job. The lost time and gear hauling eat profits. Maybe I’m missing something.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:04 pm

My house is a 2 story and he wanted to do single story houses.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:50 pm

There may be other considerations too for the painters. Even making the same amount of money per time spent, if they depend a lot on word of mouth advertising (as they probably do), generating 6 happy customers will do more to keep them busy in the future than spending the same time only generating one. Or if they already have as much work as they can handle, taking on the larger, non standard job may not be worth the hassle. Just speculating.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:00 am

Honestly, just rolling it might have come out better.
I doubt it - it will come out as Orange Peel Central! :lol:

If dimples on a golf ball make it fly further, then maybe an orange peel finish on a hull will go faster? Just saying! :D

As for Roll & Tip, I must have the luck of Old Harry! I used International Perfection 2 pack polyurethane paint. Mixed the paint, chucked in a bit of thinner and a bit of retarder then rolled and tipped as per the manufacturers instruction - in a 75-85oF environment. The Perfection paint "flattened out" over several hours - and turned out just fine!