Quality of inside finish, opinions anyone?

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
kdog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Quality of inside finish, opinions anyone?

Post by kdog » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:01 pm

Started sanding and fairing the inside of my ob17. I was wondering how crazy did you guys go with finishing the inside of your boat? With all those inside surfaces there's a lot of fiberglass seams and stuff to feather out in there. With my epoxy allergies I want to get this thing done as soon as I can but I don't want it to look like crap. Just curious on how far some of you guys went to finish the inside and if you wished you had spent more time on it or not.
Thanks,
John K

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:11 pm

I put 1/10th of the effort fairing my GF18 interior as the outside. I'm happy with the results. Now that I'm done, I'd say that you notice the exterior finish quality more becuase you see many feet of straight board all at once so any problems stand out more.

The interior will be broken by consols, stiffeners, frames, etc., and so irregularities don't show up _quite_ as bad. Also, the interior gets banged around a lot from tackle boxes, coolers, etc. and after a year there's so much other damage to the finish that my fairing can't be seen.

Jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:28 pm

For the inside of hatches - I barely fair at all. Just one coat of quickfair and then sand it.

You will be spending most of your time looking at the inside of you boat :| And if you think it will bother you then spend more time.

For a fishing boat :) I dont like it to be too nice -I like to throw a cast net or anchor around without worrying about my finish being marred.

Its really hard to tell how fair you’ve got things until you hit it with the first layer of primer.

Joel

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:47 pm

You'll see lots of obvious fiberglass taping on the Caravelle. I'm with shine... if things bang around in there or on the floor, I don't want to have it be a reason to ruin a good day out on the water. But of course its got to be smooth enough so that you don't decorate it with blood! The biggest time consumer is prepping and fairing bright finish areas. Mine will not look anywhere near showroom, but I don't think they will look bad either. I know the caprails will get dinged, but they don't look bad with a natural finish and so they will stay that way.

If you spray with clear for protection, Sys Three does have a satin clear now, which should *hide* unfaired interior better than that high gloss clear.

ks

kdog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by kdog » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:36 pm

Good points everyone. My boat will be primarily used for fishing and there will definately be lots of things flying around in there. Nets, anchors, crab traps, wieghts, coolers, etc. I spent months fairing the bottom and outside surfaces like Jason said and I don't think I'll be doing that for the inside. I agree with Shine about seeing the inside all the time, I am sort of a perfectionist when it comes to these things and not having it meet up my standards tends to make me a little nuts. But that being said with all the time it takes to get it perfect and the way I've been reacting to the epoxy (slow itching torture) I think I'll have to settle for something not so perfect.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:45 pm

Also, the non skid covers some unfairness :D

Dane_Ger
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Dane_Ger » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:47 pm

Shine wrote:Also, the non skid covers some unfairness :D
I've been counting on that! ;)
Building the FL14

JollyLolly
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JollyLolly » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:22 pm

My lack of fainess IS my non-skid. :o

I left my NC16 inside clear, and somehow regret not covering my mistakes with fairing and paint. I also spent so long on the outside that I couldn't wait for myself to go the same route on the inside.

However, having said that, I am able to enjoy the boat with not having to worry about scratches and dings while climbing in and out with beach sand and cooler boxes etc.

The trick is in the camera angles when you post pictures. :roll:
Laurence
Be realistic.... expect miracles !!!
NC

jasonmcintosh
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jasonmcintosh » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:30 pm

I left some fiberglass under my casting deck completely unfaired. That was a mistake. The paint filled in the weave some, but the rest of the weave really collects dirt. Put SOME quickfair in the weave, even in the hatches. Don't leave it completely unfaired.

Jason
Hopefully fishing from my GF18

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:40 pm

Flat finish paints hide alot of the stuff you would pick up in an instant with glossy. That is part of the reason why I am painting the inside of my FL14 with flat camo pattern and the outside with red and yellow Brightsides. Rick