Starter amp draw

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Starter amp draw

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 am

Starting to do some wiring and am wondering what is the starter draw for my 200 Suzuki. Looked all over the net but no luck so far.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Starter amp draw

Post by Capt UB » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:51 am

Battery cable size and distance.... play a big part in the draw, check this out thread out.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-fo ... -draw.html

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:26 am

Fuzz wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:02 am
Starting to do some wiring and am wondering what is the starter draw for my 200 Suzuki. Looked all over the net but no luck so far.
I found for cars that a 4 cyl. would be around 150 Amp and 175 amps for 6 cyl. that number seems to high.
It's been a long time since I have had to diagnose/test a starter system but since all newer vehicles/boats use a compound starter they don't use that much current to start a motor. That is one of the reasons batteries in vehicles are getting smaller.

Here is something that may help you to find wire size. Keeping the starter battery close to the motor will help keep the big cables short and less amperage drop and easier on the pocket book. But if one size is close to the required amperage go to the next size bigger.

http://www.marinewireandcable.com/2013/ ... d-for.html

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks guys I think I have enough info for now.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:01 pm
Thanks guys I think I have enough info for now.
Sorry I can't be more help, 12 years ago I could have gave you almost exact what to expect. I tested starter draw a few times a week with clamp on amp gauge on a number of different engines but retired from that profession.