Trim tabs

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Trim tabs

Post by fishgitr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Hey guys I just got off the phone with Jeff. We were discussing the 10 x 10 self leveling trim tabs. The manual ones. I had a question for him about them plowing the bow of the boat. On a regular trim tab that you would adjust when I would go through say the inlet that had swells I’ve always adjusted my trim tabs up so that the bow wouldn’t nose dive into the swell. How does this work with these?

cvincent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Trim tabs

Post by cvincent » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Fishgitr,

I have the Bennet SLT6 on my D15 and I have to keep them pinned in the level position. The springs in the SLT tabs are too stiff for my lightweight hull and do cause the bow to plow. In fact, the boat is difficult to handle when the tabs are not pinned, as the boat is coming off of plane it will push hard to port or starboard with the bow digging in as the bottom pressure decreases and the tabs release to the down position. This is just my experience.

Your boat may handle the SLT tabs much better because Conchfish is much wider and stable than the D15.
Completed D15, Building PH18

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply! Are there different springs that can be changed?

poleposition
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by poleposition » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Pretty much everybody I have talked to said the tabs were too aggressive; that being said, I know one builder that took 1 coil out of the springs and was pleased w/ the results. Also, I seem to remember that I read somewhere that a customer called Bennett and asked them to reduce the tension before shipping, which they did at no charge.

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Thank you!! Do you know the size of the boats they were on?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 pm

Tcason put a set on his GV13. He says they cured his problems and is very pleased with them. I think matching them to the boat is the key.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 pm

I have used the Self-Leveling Tabs (SLT), both sizes. I used the small set on a 15.4 HS Gheenoe, worked OK. I ended up talking to Bennett and they set me up with lighter springs in the actuators (free). Worked so much better. I did try the larger SLT on my Scout 145 SportFish CC, I did not have TnT on the OB. I needed something better and with controls.

I do have to say Bennett was very helpfull and gave me a lot of advice.

SLT6 6″ x 8″ Tabs (Recommended for boats up to 17′)
SLT10 10″ x 10″ Tabs (Recommended for boats over 17′)
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Thanks guys for the replies!! I will give them a try.. they aren’t very expensive so if don’t like them I will remove them.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:56 pm

fishgitr wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:42 pm
Thanks guys for the replies!! I will give them a try.. they aren’t very expensive so if don’t like them I will remove them.

You can also just lock them inplace horizontal (90°) off the transom. That is no downwards push from the actuators.
FS14 (SandPiper) launched 10/20/2018

LM18 Starting build in November 2018

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:31 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 pm
Tcason put a set on his GV13. He says they cured his problems and is very pleased with them. I think matching them to the boat is the key.
I have them on my 13 Garvey and love them.

I was having porpoising at about 4000 RPM - I added tabs and that is taken care of with tabs and tweaking the trim down as/if needed. My hole shot or bow rise was not a problem before tabs. I can feel the tabs activate on high speed sharp turns but not an issue.

Loving my Garvey 13 - was out on Bay last night chasing birds and rockfish for two hours. I can run in white caps or rollers but a combination requires some finesse to stay dry if wind is blowing. The boat feels like an extension of me after 100 hours of running time.