Livewell valve/plumbing question

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Livewell valve/plumbing question

Post by Jwhitakeriii » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:20 pm

Hey does anyone know of a "selector" valve that would allow you to run 2 livewells from one pump? Or any other way to do this? Thanks guys

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Livewell valve/plumbing question

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:00 pm

A manual valve would be best. It would basically be a tee from the intake to the two valves, well one and well two. You then limit the flow to each well by adjusting the valve.

Otherwise, call flowrite in Michigan.

Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 pm

Jwhitakeriii wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:20 pm
Hey does anyone know of a "selector" valve that would allow you to run 2 livewells from one pump? Or any other way to do this? Thanks guys
This is my set up.

I use a Flow-rite V-3 valve that bolts to the intake side of the single pump. One pick up that is also the drain. From the pump water goes to a 3 way valve (yellow handle) that controls flow to the live well and/or the bait well. The return drains are controlled by the second 3-way valve. The 3-way valves are by Banjo and are serviceable.
https://www.zoro.com/banjo-poly-ball-va ... /G1737197/

The Flow-rite V-3 valve controls intake and recycle water flow. It is selectable from "Auto, Recirc and Drain". On auto if the pick is underwater it pulls sea water into the system. Intake comes out of the water like when the boast comes on plane and it recirculates the water. It has only been tested on land.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it.

A. A. Milne

Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jwhitakeriii » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:31 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:23 pm
Jwhitakeriii wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:20 pm
This is my set up.

I use a Flow-rite V-3 valve that bolts to the intake side of the single pump. One pick up that is also the drain. From the pump water goes to a 3 way valve (yellow handle) that controls flow to the live well and/or the bait well. The return drains are controlled by the second 3-way valve. The 3-way valves are by Banjo and are serviceable.
https://www.zoro.com/banjo-poly-ball-va ... /G1737197/

The Flow-rite V-3 valve controls intake and recycle water flow. It is selectable from "Auto, Recirc and Drain". On auto if the pick is underwater it pulls sea water into the system. Intake comes out of the water like when the boast comes on plane and it recirculates the water. It has only been tested on land.
Sweet thanks. I really will have to read and reread to wrap my head around that but it looks like it's exactly what I want to do.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 am

You have to control flow from the pump going to one tank or the other so you install a 3-way ball valve between the pump and the tanks. You have to control return back to the pump from each tank so you install another 3-way valve. Then you have to control seawater going to the pump so the V-3 valve controls that but you could also just use a 3rd 3-way valve.

Here is the way mine works. When the boat is off plane the intake for the system is submerged in the body of water and with the pump on will pull in seawater, I direct the seawater to which ever tank I want via the 3-way flow control valve. I can also control returning water back to the pump via the drain control 3-way valve. The V-3 valve controls seawater intake for when I am on plane or off plane. On plane the system is a closed system that just recirculates the water in the system. Off plane the system becomes an open system that refreshes the water in the system with fresh seawater and once full it overflows. The V-3 valve can be turned to just recirculate the water in the system like if I pull the boat out of the water and want to keep the bait and live fish healthy or the boat is in shallow water and kicking up mud/sand that I don't want in the wells. When done for the day and want to drain all the water out I just turn the pump off and flip the V-3 valve to "drain" and the water drains out of the wells via the intake. The V-3 valve has a check valve so water only goes out and not in.

Hard part in my system was making sure the pump, with the v-3 valve attached, was below the water line off plane so it would pump seawater. Next the well drains have to be above the intake so they drain completely by just gravity. This would have been a lot easier if I had the room to put the pump assembly on it's side and not upright.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it.

A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:23 am

Just so you guys know; you can use high speed intakes unaffected by the planing status or speed of the boat, but they do need to be in the water!

This is the one I plan to use.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/sea-dog ... -with-pipe

Jwhitakeriii
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jwhitakeriii » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:26 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 am
You have to control flow from the pump going to one tank or the other so you install a 3-way ball valve between the pump and the tanks. You have to control return back to the pump from each tank so you install another 3-way valve. Then you have to control seawater going to the pump so the V-3 valve controls that but you could also just use a 3rd 3-way valve.

Here is the way mine works. When the boat is off plane the intake for the system is submerged in the body of water and with the pump on will pull in seawater, I direct the seawater to which ever tank I want via the 3-way flow control valve. I can also control returning water back to the pump via the drain control 3-way valve. The V-3 valve controls seawater intake for when I am on plane or off plane. On plane the system is a closed system that just recirculates the water in the system. Off plane the system becomes an open system that refreshes the water in the system with fresh seawater and once full it overflows. The V-3 valve can be turned to just recirculate the water in the system like if I pull the boat out of the water and want to keep the bait and live fish healthy or the boat is in shallow water and kicking up mud/sand that I don't want in the wells. When done for the day and want to drain all the water out I just turn the pump off and flip the V-3 valve to "drain" and the water drains out of the wells via the intake. The V-3 valve has a check valve so water only goes out and not in.

Hard part in my system was making sure the pump, with the v-3 valve attached, was below the water line off plane so it would pump seawater. Next the well drains have to be above the intake so they drain completely by just gravity. This would have been a lot easier if I had the room to put the pump assembly on it's side and not upright.
Pardon my ignorance but can the pump provide recirc to both tanks simultaneously or do you have to switch the ball valve to which one you want to recirculate. I guess I need to buy the valve and see how it works. Thanks for the great explanation!

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 am

I bought a separate recirc pump and aerator. Flip of a switch.

My well is not dual, though.

I have an inlet, an overflow and a drain.

In the drain line, I have a tee. The tee goes to the aerator pump and an opening in the tank bottom side.

So, flip a manual switch and close the drain.
Flip a switch and fill the tank.
Turn the aerator on a cycle switch or turn the fill on a cycle and it fills new water on or on a cycle.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:13 pm

Jwhitakeriii wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:26 am

Pardon my ignorance but can the pump provide recirc to both tanks simultaneously or do you have to switch the ball valve to which one you want to recirculate. I guess I need to buy the valve and see how it works. Thanks for the great explanation!
There is a demo on the Flow-Rite website that shows how all their valves work. But just think that one ball valve selects which tank you want the water to go to, anything from all to a percent. Then the other ball valve control which tank the pump gets it's water from, again, all or a percentage of. The V-3 valve controls does it use intake water or tank well water.

But by adjusting the flow control valves and the drain control valves you can adjust everything the way you want to use it. Example, you have a bait well full of live bait and they need a lot of oxygen but they are shrimp so you don't need a lot of flow to the bait tank. You can adjust the flow control valve to a slow flow in your bait well, no return drain, it fills and over flows back into the live well that has no fish yet but you are aerating the water with high flow and all the return drain coming from the live well. My set up, the bait well is 5 gallons and live well is 15 gallons so I can hold bait in a 5 gallon space but use the volume of 20 gallons to keep the oxygen levels very high even in a over crowded tank. Hope that makes sense.
Just remember, you are using one pump so as you try to adjust flow from one to the other you reduce the flow from one but it increases to the other.

Keep in mind also I am still building the boat and it has yet to be in the water. The tank well system has only been tested on land with a large cooler as the seawater connected to the inlet. I fill up the cooler till I had water in the pump. So it has only been "lab" tested. It all worked as I explained it and my imaginary fish and bait loved it! :wink:

A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:33 pm

Karma is a friend.

I just realized I only have an overflow and no intake on my livewell install!

Time to get out the hole drill.