AIS/VHF antennas

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: AIS/VHF antennas

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri May 22, 2020 5:16 pm

mattkab wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:41 pm
This is an easy way to visualize what AIS provides:
https://www.marinetraffic.com/
That reminds me of watching ants!! I had that link bookmarked at one time following the last Tow boat I was building as an R/C model.

If you find Galveston Texas, then Houston Ship Channel and keep following that up stream you will find Buffalo Bayou and as the bayou starts to get shallow and more narrow is where we do kayak tours. As you can see there are a lot of boats, looks like I10!

maatkab, Thank you very much for the info. I may order the radio and chartplotter in the next few days. Would like to get the stuff as I map out building the console instrument cluster.

"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat May 23, 2020 3:50 am

I found a GX 2200B That has the Programmable CPA or TCPA Collision Avoidance Alarms That I was looking for and it is also on sale right now.
https://standardhorizon.factoryoutletst ... emid=82708

Thank you so much Mattkab for your help on this subject, you helped clear up some of the mystery behind AIS and VHF.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Sat May 23, 2020 6:29 am

Our cruising experience is that from a safety perspective, you need to see others via AIS, and they need to see you. When we installed send & receive AIS some 10 years ago, two VHF antennas were required. Check that any system claiming only one is required is not just receive (you seeing others). If they can see you, the big boys change course if they can see that you don't have sea room - e.g. you're pinned against a coast, or on the edge of a deep water channel.

Our two VHF antennas are aft starboard and port. The centre one is our cell phone antenna.

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:41 am

Mattkab-can I use this legally without getting a license?

Your thoughts on this radio?

For a primary or secondary?

I would like a radio thst works for 100-200 miles

Thanks. (Ken-hope you don't mind, really glad for the thread)

Also, says input voltage is 18.6v. Guessing I need to stepdown power from 24 to use it?

Dan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Furuno-FS-1502 ... Sw4kNekOQT
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:48 am

Or, let me ask another way. How can I get a marine radio to work for like 150 miles? This radio with more power or something else?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat May 23, 2020 12:04 pm

Or, let me ask another way. How can I get a marine radio to work for like 150 miles? This radio with more power or something else?
VHF is line of sight and doesn't carry further than the horizon for that reason. Range is about 20 miles. You need HF for long distance, which is a whole other kettle of fish in terms of cost and complexity.
Tony

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:08 pm

terrulian wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:04 pm
VHF is line of sight and doesn't carry further than the horizon for that reason. Range is about 20 miles. You need HF for long distance, which is a whole other kettle of fish in terms of cost and complexity.
Is the radio I linked HF?

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Yes, single sideband. IF you are going to make this investment, look into it a bit. SSB requires that you use the backstay as an antenna, which will require doing some rigging. You also need a ground plate mounted to the underside of the hull. You'll also need an antenna tuner. You'll want to check on which one works with your unit. The antenna is, ideally, mathematically related in length to the frequency of your transmission. Since you can't change the length of the backstay, the antenna tuner tricks the signal into the right frequency. I'd do some reading up on this or consult a radio guy.
Another thing to consider as long as you're going to this expense is getting a HAM license, which no longer requires 13 wpm of morse code like it did when I got mine. :? Some SSB radios, not all, will work on the HAM bands. HAM opens up a lot more stations and options for email and weather.
Tony

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat May 23, 2020 3:19 pm

terrulian wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm
Yes, single sideband. IF you are going to make this investment, look into it a bit. SSB requires that you use the backstay as an antenna, which will require doing some rigging. You also need a ground plate mounted to the underside of the hull. You'll also need an antenna tuner. You'll want to check on which one works with your unit. The antenna is, ideally, mathematically related in length to the frequency of your transmission. Since you can't change the length of the backstay, the antenna tuner tricks the signal into the right frequency. I'd do some reading up on this or consult a radio guy.
Another thing to consider as long as you're going to this expense is getting a HAM license, which no longer requires 13 wpm of morse code like it did when I got mine. :? Some SSB radios, not all, will work on the HAM bands. HAM opens up a lot more stations and options for email and weather.
Backstay?

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat May 23, 2020 3:22 pm

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks. (Ken-hope you don't mind, really glad for the thread)

Also, says input voltage is 18.6v. Guessing I need to stepdown power from 24 to use it?

Dan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Furuno-FS-1502 ... Sw4kNekOQT
No problem. I think having questions about 2 two way radios would be best if on one thread. Please ask away!
A. A. Milne