Tis the season

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Tis the season

Post by lelandtampa » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:44 am

Thanks cape for the heads up. Had forgotten to apply for FWC permits. Gonna try to get on silver springs forest since it is new this year.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:08 am

Good luck! That's a gorgeous property. If you get in it will be interesting to here how much pressure is there. The Green Swamp used to be much more likely to get a deer than it is now...
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

lelandtampa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by lelandtampa » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:13 am

I have been hunting green swamp since I was a child and finally got one last year. It was a squirrel but I got one. Basically a good day hunting for me is to not hear a phone ring with a unreasonable customer on the other end and not tip out of my stand while napping.

cape man

Post by cape man » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Action pictures from the game cam...
MFDC9900 (1).JPG
MFDC9903.JPG
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:47 pm

I need to set one of those game cams up in the yard. I might even catch the dang bear that is hanging around.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:52 pm

Beautiful property A lot flatter but looks like my property here in the SM of NC, Don't have that big cat you do cape man have smaller ones. Do have turkeys and wild hogs, bear and dear. Love to see them walking around my 35 acres. Don't necessarily like the deer eating my garden 30' from the house or the bears wandering on the concrete patio 10' from the double glass door to the family room and in between the grills.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:17 am

For a year this guy has been showing up on the game cams at various times at night. Never in the daylight, and I never saw him with my eyes.
MFDC0632.JPG
Until monday morning around 6:15 am, when he was in my feed plot which is about 80 yards from the house. Got out the .270 and could see him but not the crosshairs in the scope. Centered his shoulder and let one go,. Still so dark the muzzle flash didn't let me see a hit, and he ran into the woods on the edge of the property...very thick, Florida woods. Waited for the sun to come up and went out to find him. Not a drop of blood and when he took off I didn't hear any crashing in the woods. Missed...

Yesterday I came home around 3:00pm and the vultures were all around. He was laying about 30 feet inside the woods! At least 50 vultures were working him, and the lower half and all the organs were already gone.
20200709_160424.jpg
20200709_160435.jpg
From one of the game cam pictures I was able to measure his height based on a cabbage palm he was standing behind, and he came up to my hip, meaning he was well over 200 lbs. That big, and having nuts like oranges, he would not taste good, and I still have sausage from the last one. I'll wait till next week and don some gloves to retrieve the skull which will dwarf the others I have. Set the game cam up on the carcass to see what comes in to take care of it over the next few days.

A dead hog is a good hog.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:26 am

I have always heard it is the piglets that make the best pork. Where there is one that big should be more.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

cape man

Post by cape man » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:06 am

100 lb or less sow. Yummy.

Fortunately he is the only one I've had for almost a year. The river bottom land we live on and the surrounding woods are prime habitat for them, and over the years we have killed dozens. They are one of the worst invasive species we have. Florida is probably right after Texas with the level of the problem, but they are moving north through the country at a rapid pace. Missouri is a new hot spot.

I hate wasting meat, but glad he's dead.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:43 am

Yes, Texas has a lot, because everything in Texas is bigger, they get up to the 500 and 600 pounds!! Look like deformed hippos! 8O

:lol: :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne