Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:04 pm

When is the best time to shrimp your area and what type of license would be required for someone(like me) from out of state? A friend of mine and I used to take off after work on a Friday and go up to Savannah to shrimp many many decades ago. We would put in somewhere close to a bridge over to Hilton Head and shrimp at night
John, it's just starting to get good and will get better for the next 3 months as the shrimp grow. We can usually catch them good from about now until December. I always liked night shrimping best too. Nothing like getting out there on a full moon and loading a cooler.

The only license required is a non-resident SC saltwater fishing license, $35. 48 quart limit. Baiting shrimp with fish meal is a popular thing in SC, but a baiting license for a non-resident is $500 8O That will buy a lot of shrimp, and I've never needed bait to catch them anyway. It's always been illegal in GA and still is. I wish they would make it illegal in SC too.

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:26 pm

CL, If you ever need ballast
I never need ballast. Can you throw a cast net is the question :?: I'm a real good boat driver :lol: I'm going to give fishing a break until these dog days are over and focus on putting some shrimp in the freezer. I usually launch at Bolen Hall on Euhaw Creek, or the Cheechessie at Lemon Island. Sometimes at Alljoy in Bluffton on May River. PM me your phone number and schedule. My schedule is usually my own and I try not to schedule very much.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:Can you throw a cast net is the question :?: I'm a real good boat driver :lol:
That's a trick question. I've only owned a cast net for a year... Yes but only the small ones. Last shrimp season was bad so I didn't get much practice. Bait is so plentiful that once decent toss and I've got all the bait I need for a few days. The old timers here stopped calling me "yankee" when we were getting bait last week so maybe I'm getting it down. :)
Cracker Larry wrote:PM me your phone number and schedule. My schedule is usually my own and I try not to schedule very much.
For some reason I can not PM or email anyone (assuming you didn't get an email from me last week). If you don't see something from me shortly assume I'm still clueless (which is sad given I've managed a few phpbb installs :( )
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:45 pm

Attempts at contact completed.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:27 am

Jaysen, I haven't got any message from you. You can email me direct LTeuton at aol dot com.

Handturkey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Handturkey » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:51 pm

I haven't had much free time to post any pictures, lately. I've been way too busy with work, school and... well, fishing. :help: But here are some pictures that I've taken or collected in the past two monthes:

I had the pleasure of teaching one of my good friends, now roommate Cannon, how to fly fish.
Still proudly sporting the Bateau decal on my boat

Even took him into the Everglades for his first poon

We mostly did a lot of summer snookin,
Did very well on the beaches in Matlacha

Alec and I caught almost 60 snook in 12 hours in Matlacha

Sanibel Shorefishing

With buddy Graham in Sanibel

My other roommate, Chucks, and I found some in the backwaters around Estero.

Releasing a beauty in Estero Bay

Had a little fun playing with some micropoon, jumped a few huge 60-80lb tarpon on the flats, didn't land any giants...

Chucks with a nice micropoon on fly

Played with some backwater redfish
My buddy and FGCU fishing club president Wyler and I found some big reds in deep waters near Pine Island

and some smaller ones in the tidal flats of Estero Bay

Made it offshore for one trip, didn't kill it but did catch some nice firetruck size red grouper with Alec

And last but not least, took a little trip down to the Islamorada with Chucks. We were traveling 40-70 miles a day in a gheenoe, back north towards flamingo. The fish we saw, were monsters, but it was so incredibly hot that nothing would really eat. Did manage to land a couple, including this beefy just-under-32 inch snook. He had a battle scar on him from what I assume was an osprey trying to pick him up back in the day.

I have more pictures from the everglades that i took on a nice Canon, but I haven't imported them all just yet. More to come..
Listen to me, your body is not a temple. Temples can be destroyed and desecrated. Your body is a forest- thick canopies of maple trees and sweet scented wildflowers sprouting in the under wood. You will grow back, over and over no matter how badly you are devastated.

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:54 am

Nice Harrison, your living the life Dude keep it up!

Sitting in front of my computer building virtual cars, it's killing me man, I need to get out fishing, your pic's take me there. :help:

Joe H
Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:23 am

Fantastic fishing and photos Harrison 8) You are your Daddy's son for sure :D

cape man

Post by cape man » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:27 pm

Harrison,

If your intent was to rub it in, consider me rubbed raw! Nice fish and great shots. Really like the waterline shot of the snook.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:00 pm

8) :D