Anyone Fishing?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Anyone Fishing?

Post by BarraMan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm

alanmccabe wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:22 pm
Thats fantastic, wow they put up some fight
Yes, we thought that fish would go over the magic "1M" mark because after it jumped a couple of times it peeled off at least 50M of line!

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Great video.
So what would a Barra that is 86cm weigh? And what was the day time temperature there?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm
Great video.
So what would a Barra that is 86cm weigh? And what was the day time temperature there?
Fuzz, we don’t tend to weigh barra, just measure them. My first ever barra, which was 102 cm, weighed 14.1 kg (31 lbs).

Survey data indicates that an 86 cm barra will be around 18 lb.

Water temp was around 32oC with temps on the boat 37-39oC. You can see that we are all covered up against the northern sun, with light weight fishing clothes, fingerless gloves and wide brimmed hats.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:22 pm

I have always thought you measure saltwater fish by length and freshwater by weight. But I have never been very good at thinking. :|

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 pm

I just had no idea of the weigh on Barra's. Pretty good size and great fighters, nice combo.
I figured you guys were all covered up to fight the sun. 100f :help: do not bother calling the paramedics for me, just go ahead and call the coroner :cry:
How do you keep the fish cool enough not to spoil? You must have one great cooler with a lot of ice.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:41 pm
I just had no idea of the weigh on Barra's. Pretty good size and great fighters, nice combo.
I figured you guys were all covered up to fight the sun. 100f :help: do not bother calling the paramedics for me, just go ahead and call the coroner :cry:
How do you keep the fish cool enough not to spoil? You must have one great cooler with a lot of ice.
We tended to fish early morning and late afternoon, with a siesta in the middle of the day in air-conditioned comfort. The three things we look for in fishing accommodation are a comfy bed, a good air-conditioner and a clean bathroom.

Yes, there is a large cooler with block ice under the front deck. Filleted, cryovac’d and into the freezer each evening.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Heres hoping you have more videos from your trip. The one you posted was great :!:

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 am

Fuzz wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 pm
Heres hoping you have more videos from your trip. The one you posted was great :!:
I doo indeed, but that was an easy one to put together - the others will take of bit of sorting.

I have a busy month coming up. Younger son marries on May 11, and while I am down in that part of the world, Glossie and I intend to explore the Noosa R and associated lakes in the BIG BARRA BOAT. That will generate another video!

Cheers

Lee

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:00 pm

BarraMan wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 am
Fuzz wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:08 pm

while I am down in that part of the world, Glossie and I intend to explore the Noosa R and associated lakes in the BIG BARRA BOAT. That will generate another video!

Cheers

Lee

Oh cool have fun congrats to your son also

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:27 am

Here's the best fish from our recent trip to the NT - a 95 cm specimen! The bloke who landed it is an expat Yank (from Chicago!) who followed a girl to the land down under - and stayed! He now drives a high speed ferry on Sydney Harbour.

and some fishing art for your enjoyment!

and one of the locals!

That's a "Jabiru" or black-necked stork! The Jabiru is a large bird, 51–59 in tall having a 91 in wingspan, and an average weight around 145 oz. It is found throughout Asia, with a distinct sub-species in the north of Australia. This one was chasing baitfish on a mud bank - flapping its wings and stomping its feet to herd the fish when we first saw it.