Yahama Gauges

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Yahama Gauges

Post by plumbertuck » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:53 am

Can anyone give me some guidance on which gauges I need and how much they cost, I see lots of gauges in my owners manual and I have no idea which way to look. I have limited console space.
I am somewhat interested in fuel /speed / tach.
I have a sending unit in the tank, a simple tempo gauge will suffice for fuel but i think they have some dual purpose gauges.

welcome to the home of the 80 grit rodeo

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Yahama Gauges

Post by Old E. » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:10 am

Tach and fuel. Speed is useless. Use a GPS for speed. An hour gauge is nice too, for break in.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:20 am

I agree, the tach is the most important and an hour meter is good to keep up with engine maintenance. You can get dual purpose tach/hour meter. Speedo is useless but a temp gauge may be beneficial. I also have a volt meter, fuel and trim gauge.

You don't have to buy the pricey Yamaha gauges. Standard teleflex will work fine. Fuel, trim, volts, temp all run about $40 each. Tach about $75. Got all mine from Ebay.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm

Tuck, Tach for sure then fuel if you have an interal tank(not neccesary with and external one) then water temp if you suck something up, next volt, since you have a 4st oil pressure would be good. Then hour meter, trim guage. These two are nice but you've been around boats enough to keep a log and feel the trim.

Here is a 4in1 guage for less than $100 that covers all of these. Also look at there site for individual guages the Teleflex guages Larry mentions are as low as $19 http://www.boatersland.com/far-33851.html This is a Faria guage at the top of the line they have others at a lower price in lesser lines. Faria's are better than Teleflex in warranty coverage, but Boatlanders carry a full line of Teleflex. If you can't find what you want they will get it for you.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by plumbertuck » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:24 pm

thanks for the tips and the links, I just about choked when the mechanic at my shop that sold me the motor told me the Yamaha multifunction one was $430, or he had a used one for $240, and I needed a "hub" to plug it into, I thought "dang guys I have a plywood fishing boat that I will be bouncing off things with"
Maybe If I had a " Cracker Larry custom machine" :lol:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:45 am

You'll still need the cable from the motor to the guages. Don't know what that will cost but maybe Larry can get it cheaper.

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by plumbertuck » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:35 am

the cable is there, I have some capped off terminals ( 2 sets) coming from the motor, one set has 3 terminals the other set has 4 terminals, should be all I need.
Tuck

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:48 am

You'll still need the cable from the motor to the guages. Don't know what that will cost but maybe Larry can get it cheaper.

Tom
Well, since the motor is obviously running and Tuck probably cranked it with a key switch, I'd deduce that he already has the main wiring harness :wink: The green wire in the main harness is the tack sender for a 2 stroke, but my info says the 4 strokes use the gray wire for the tach. The yellow wire is key-on power, this will connect to the hour meter and anything else you might want key-on power for, such as power to all the gauges.

My engine uses a seperate 4 wire harness for trim gauge, temp and oil level, but everything else comes from the main harness.
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:49 am

Sorry Tuck, you posted as I was typing.

plumbertuck
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by plumbertuck » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:17 pm

yup. I need to take a pic of my harness. it will all be clear then.
once again thanks for the help, I will need more later