How do I get a boat off a trailer?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.

Bobg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: How do I get a boat off a trailer?

Post by Bobg » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:47 am

One more way that my old brain has recalled, and it worked several times in a limited space before that shop got a lift.

Lower the tongue jack, block up the stern, both sides. Raise the tongue jack to elevate the stern off the trailer. Now using a floor jack forward under the keel, jack the boat up, and move the trailer forward and block the boat as you go. This will need to be repeated until the boat is blocked up off the trailer and the jack is clear of the axles and cross members.

I don't think I need to say this, but you'll need 4x4's or larger pads, stacked on the jack plate, to take up the distance from jack plate to keel.

It's slow going, a step at a time, but it's safe for you and the boat, in a tight area.

BassMunn

Post by BassMunn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:20 pm

I've done this a few times with several different boats and I have found that using car tyres is the best way.
The tyres must NOT be on a rim. Pull or push the boat slightly off the trailer until it starts to pendulum. Unhitch the trailer and let the whole rig drop down at the stern. Put 2 tyres at the transom just either side of the keel (the transom must hit the tyres in the middle of the tyres or it will slide off them), once the boat drops low enough to put pressure on the tyres you can start to slowly pull the trailer out from under the boat. Once it's a bit further forward place more tyres under the boat as you clear the trailer.
Keep the hand winch attached and engaged, let a bit out at a time and go very slowly when you reach the bow as the trailer will try to shoot out from under the boat.
To load it back on, keep the trailer unhitched and just winch the trailer under the boat, removing the tyres as required.
If you have rollers on the trailer it's pretty easy, bunks make the first part a bit more difficult but once the trailer tongue is aiming at the sky gravity takes over (with the odd nudge required every now and then). When you winch it up try pull the tongue down as soon as you can to make the last part easier.

Keep the winch strap attached and winch engaged through the whole ordeal (you don't want you pretty boat sliding off the trailer on it's own)
Only do this on level ground
Check your straps, winch and bow hook to make sure nothing is going to come flying at you.
Watch for clearance of your motor and transducers when you drop the boat on the tyres

Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tex 2009 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:40 am

I have another situation someone can help me with. I have a 1989 el pescador in pretty good shape but really should get a new bottom job and a repower. The 89 150 suzuki is starting to show its age. I would like to pick it up flip it and rework the bottom. Has anyone made an inexpensive cradle to help flip a hull, hull weight is about 1100 lbs, 20 ft long and 8ft wide. I have limited space for equipment to do the job. Thought about making an overhead system in the joists but not sure about the flipping part.
Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:11 pm

Does it have a console? If so, are you removing it? Craddles are petty easy and only have to be about as long as your trailer bunks. I built mine from 2 x 6's and put a caster on each corner.

MD :wink:
Last edited by Mad Dog on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tex 2009
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tex 2009 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Great idea MD. It does have a console and I will be removing it so the cradle looks like it will work for my space and looks reasonable to do. Thanks
Doug Grall
Huntsville, Texas

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:35 pm

Animation: off-trailer.gif
Getting Your C22 Off Its Trailer

Here is how to pull your trailer out from under your boat.

1. A level parking spot on a flat and solid surface is STRONGLY advised!
2. Block the trailer tires solidly so they CAN NOT move.
3. Lower the trailer tongue by shortening the length of the jack. You want to get the tongue as low as possible. My trailer jack can be rotated out of the way. So I lower it as far as I can, then I place a floor jack under the tongue, rotate the trailer jack out of the way, and lower the tongue even further using the floor jack.
4. Block up the transom solidly. I use two 55 gallon drums placed side by side. Then I add what ever wood blocks I need to support the transom. Make sure the weight is supported over the center of the drums.
5. Jack up the tongue as high as you can. I do this in stages:
6. Raise the floor jack until the trailer jack can be rotated back into its vertical position.
7. Extend the trailer jack as far as it will go.
8. Block up the trailer near the trailer jack.
9. Retract the trailer jack.
10. Place a large block under the retracted trailer jack.
11. Extend the trailer jack as far as it will go.
12. Block up the bow by running a stout beam under the bow. Support this beam at its ends and beyond the width of the trailer tires.
13. Pull out the trailer.
14. If you can't get a beam strong enough and long enough, you can support the bow from directly underneath. But you will have to "walk" this support as you pull out the trailer. That is done by using two sets of supports which take turns supporting the boat

Brian :roll:

WobblyLegs
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by WobblyLegs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:23 am

Dog Fish wrote:Animation: off-trailer.gif
Nicely done!

Tim.

Bobg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bobg » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:36 am

Dogfish, that looks pretty good, but if your blocking at the bow doesn't clear the trailer cross members, axles, and fenders, you go back to that one step at a time thing.

gk108
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by gk108 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:57 am

Bobg wrote:Dogfish, that looks pretty good, but if your blocking at the bow doesn't clear the trailer cross members, axles, and fenders, you go back to that one step at a time thing.
I just removed my O'Day from the trailer using a similar method, except I made a gantry out of 4 X 4's to lift the bow with a pair of HF worm drive winches. No trouble with clearance that way. Here's some pics during the leveling process:
CC, D15, V10