Rod building

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Rod building

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Cool, there is some interest 8) This is addicting, not sure how many more nights I can wind thread until 0300. Yall ever listen to late night talk radio? I never knew so many people had been abducted by aliens 8O
I like 9wt rods for reds up to about 6 or 8 pounds. For small reds, any trout, blues and spanish I like a 7wt. Don't try cobia on anything smaller than a 10wt.
I've just got into fly fishing for reds this winter and it is a hoot! I've caught quite a few, well maybe a dozen, in the 10-20 pound range with my old, cheap 7 wt. Needless to say, lost a few too, but I have every intention of trying a cobia on this rod :lol: By the end of May they will be thick in Port Royal, so we're going to find out. Would you like to join me?
Did the cork fit right out of the box or did you have to adjust it? Sit (andfish)
It just comes with a small pilot hole drilled. You have to ream out a tapered hole that matches the taper of the blank. I used a long rat tail wood rasp for that, it goes pretty quick.
PS If you think rod building is addictive, wait til you start tying flies.
Not sure I've got the patience for that, or the eyesight anymore :? Maybe so, one never knows what the future holds.
My new boat will need a full compliment ya know. :D
No problem TD, about $1000 each I'll build all you want :wink:
Really like the winding jig, what are you spinning it with?
I'm just using my fingers to spin it. A bit tedious with the size A thread. I've got a BBQ grill rotisserie motor that I'll use to spin it for drying, but it's too slow for wrapping. Got my eye on Mrs. Cracker's old sewing machine, variable speed motor, foot controlled, heck, she don't sew anyway :idea:
Larry, would you consider doing a full tutorial from start to finish on a rod?
I'll do what I can. Mudhole has an online video tutorial that is excellent, better than I can do. http://www.mudhole.com
What rod blank are you using, if you said, I didn't catch it.
The blank is a Temple Fork http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog ... y-Rod-Kits
I always admired those custom built rods, the colors, the patterns, ( I always wondered how they "Braided" treads under and over each other too. )
I've been studying up on that fancy weaving, makes my head hurt trying to figure out those patterns :? You can download software that figures it all out, but my eyes blur trying to keep it straight. This probably won't be too fancy :wink:

The real benefit of a custom rod is that it is built correctly. Every rod blank has a spine, or stiff spot down it's length. If you put the butt of any rod on the floor, bend the tip with one hand and roll the rod with the other, you will see that it doesn't bend smoothly in every direction, it will have a wobble in all positions except one. There will only be one spot that it wants to bend smoothly. The outside of the bend is the spine. On spinning and fly rods we position the reel seat and guides opposite the spine, on the inside of the curve. On casting and trolling rods, guides should be positioned directly on the spine, the top of the curve. Most production rods don't take this important step, they just put on the guides where ever they happen to land. When you cast, the rod wants to load and unload parallel to it's spine, so when the guides are not positioned right you lose accuracy and distance. What's worse is when you hook a fish, the rod will torque and twist in your hand. The rod wants to bend on it's spine and when the guides are not aligned to the spine it is very unpleasant to fish with. I've got a very expensive Penn International II Gold series, 50 pound class. The guides are off about 45 degrees from the spline and when you hook a big fish the rod twists off to the side. You exert more effort fighting the rod than you do the fish. You'd think Penn could get something that simple right :doh:

The other benefit is guide spacing, positioning and number of guides. Temple Fork provides a recommended spacing chart for their blanks and you use it for a starting point. No two blanks will bend exactly the same, so we temporarily attach the guides in their starting position with masking tape. Then install a reel and line and string the guides. Next we load the rod hard and observe the bend. There should be no flat spots, a nice gentle curve. Keeping the rod loaded, you slide each guide up and down a little to find it's optimum position on the blank and mark it. Consider a factory rod has every guide put in exactly the same spot on every rod on the assembly line. Chances are probably less than one in a hundred that they are positioned in the optimum location. Factory rods usually don't have enough guides on them to create the smooth arc you want either. My factory build 9' fly rod only has 6 line guides. This rod will have 10 guides.

Those 2 things are what separates a good handling rod from a poor one, but they are difficult to achieve in mass produced rods. No matter the quality of the blank and other components.
You guys must be so blessed with patience to even consider building your own rods... I've thought about it and even done some research but it all seems a might to tedious for my disposition.
It's a bit tedious but I enjoy stuff like that, and I can't sit and watch TV, which I find even more tedious :lol: Keeps me off the street anyway.

One more pic, I had to extend the bench to lay out the guide positions. Lucky my gun cleaning stand was a very close match. A little felt for spacers, works like a champ :D

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:45 pm

Welcome Jeremy :!: Don't be a stranger.
What do you like about your design CLarry?
Pretty much everything. It's not really my design, I looked at all the factory built units, and I've got some old rod building books from the 1970s, that I used when I was building rods for my charter boats, the books had plans for several types of wrapping jigs. Didn't see much difference from the ones in the plans and the ones I could buy, so I just copied their features and built my own. It only took a few hours to build, certainly worth the trouble. I wouldn't want to tackle a 9' rod with a cardboard box and a phone book :help:
moved from Florida to Louisiana a few years back and now am in the trout/redfish capital of the world.
Did you move to South Carolina :doh: :lol:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:50 pm

This one looks pretty reasonable for a starter
Reasonable? $75 for $2 worth of pine and an hours work? If you can build a boat MD, you can do better than that :wink: :lol:

marshjeremy
New Poster
New Poster

Post by marshjeremy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Yeah... I would have a hard time buying some wooden bits that I can easily build myself. It seems that most people start with a homemade wrapper (handpowered). My patience is good enough to sit and wrap this way I believe and I also dont see myself pumping out tons of rods a year. I as well have a new rotisserie motor but it only spin about 1rpm. Would it be possible to add an inline speed control like a light dimmer to speed it up or is that fast enough. Seems like 5-12 rpm is more common. Thinking about buying a prebuilt dryer and just being done with it. Being an hour from my closest hardware store can kill ingenuity if you know what I mean.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Being an hour from my closest hardware store can kill ingenuity if you know what I mean.
I know it well, I'm the same way :lol: I keep more stuff in my shop than most hardware stores, if I could just find it when I need it, or remember I've got it to start with :?

The rotisserie motor will be perfect for drying, but no, you can't speed it up. That's why I've got my eye on the wife's sewing machine. I figure if I rob the motor she won't realize it for years, if then. I'll shrug and tell her it's broke :lol:

Time for me to get back at it, going to light the heater and get it warmed up in there. Dang I wish spring would come. 40 degrees today and steady raining. We usually are in shorts and t-shirts by now and all the flowers blooming :doh: Oh, did yall see Al Gore reading the latest report on global warming?

Mad Dog
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Mad Dog » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:37 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:
This one looks pretty reasonable for a starter
Reasonable? $75 for $2 worth of pine and an hours work? If you can build a boat MD, you can do better than that :wink: :lol:
CL, when I get a chance I'll pull my rod wrapping jig out of the attic and take some pics for forum consumption. You'll see that I can indeed do better. :wink: I just happened on that one right after reading this thread and wanted to get Jeremy a place to start. It was coincidental. 8) I guess I should be working and not surfing. :oops:

MD :wink:

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm

You guys are going to get me hooked. I have always known the commercial rods are not quite splined right or have the right number of guides, especially when I'm using my Ultra-light gear on heavier fish. You can see the line down the side of the rod instead of through the guides, not good. :roll:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

Spokaloo

Post by Spokaloo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Larry we are soaking in your weather up here, its been almost 60 3 days in a row. Normally it is between 30 and 40 this time of year, and the last two years we still had 2+ feet of snow on the ground. I think Al might just be hanging out in our neck of the woods.

E

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Oh hush Eric :lol: it's supposed to be close to 60 here in the mountains with me and I had 32 and 3" of snow this morning. I'm glad you can work on your boat cause I can't work on mine. 8) I think we had a 90 degree shift in the continent this winter. :lol: :lol: Daddy didn't have much snow in Vermont either. :doh:

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy