Rod building

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Rod building

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 pm

What's going on in Rod Building land :?: Anybody building anything?

I just ordered the components for an inshore spinning rod from Mudhole. A St. Croix blank, 7', 1 piece fast action medium weight, rated for 8-14 lb test line. I ventured out this time, instead of ordering a complete kit, I ordered the components individually. St. Croix cork grips, Fuji graphite reel seat and guides. Maybe it will all fit. Should be easy after that 4 piece, 9' fly rod :D

Got a great deal on 2 Quantum Cabo 50s from a friend, both for $280, brand new in the box. They list for about $220 each. But another friend talked me out of one of them, so I've just got one now :? Probably for the best, since I've never tried a Cabo, or a St. Croix, I'll start with 1 and see how it works out :D It should be a good match, the reel is rated for 225 yds. of 12 lb. mono, or about a half mile of braid :lol: Not sure if I'll use braid or mono on this one, I should give braid a more serious try :doh:

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:28 am

Cracker Larry wrote:What's going on in Rod Building land :?: Anybody building anything?

I just ordered the components for an inshore spinning rod from Mudhole. A St. Croix blank, 7', 1 piece fast action medium weight, rated for 8-14 lb test line. I ventured out this time, instead of ordering a complete kit, I ordered the components individually. St. Croix cork grips, Fuji graphite reel seat and guides. Maybe it will all fit. Should be easy after that 4 piece, 9' fly rod :D

Got a great deal on 2 Quantum Cabo 50s from a friend, both for $280, brand new in the box. They list for about $220 each. But another friend talked me out of one of them, so I've just got one now :? Probably for the best, since I've never tried a Cabo, or a St. Croix, I'll start with 1 and see how it works out :D It should be a good match, the reel is rated for 225 yds. of 12 lb. mono, or about a half mile of braid :lol: Not sure if I'll use braid or mono on this one, I should give braid a more serious try :doh:

Looking forward to this one. That's the same rod I plan to build once the boat is done.

Dog Fish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Dog Fish » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:13 am

Should be easy after that 4 piece, 9' fly rod :D

Yea, you started back ass-wards, what's new right. :P But the good part is the fly rod came out really nice, now if you can remember to stop leaving it in the truck you will have a better chance catching a fish on it. Image

Brian Image

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:40 am

I wonder if leaving it in the truck was an accident or if he was afraid of failure with the new rod :wink:

George :D

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:15 am

Somehow I get the impression that the only things Cracker Larry is afraid of are things the rest of us ain't even seen except on tv. Stuff we should ALL be afraid of.

Fred in Wisc

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:49 am

:lol: That's almost right Fred.

White bears and cold weather cause me some concern, but I generally don't go north of the Mason Dixon line. I'm scared of our new president. Can't think of much else :doh:
I wonder if leaving it in the truck was an accident or if he was afraid of failure with the new rod
I'm used to failures
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:12 pm

The cold weather you get used to, ain't ever seen a white bear near home but we give the black ones some space. Lots of us are scared of that other one.

Fred in Wisc

dpurcell
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by dpurcell » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Been a while since I've been on here, so getting caught up on a couple threads that caught my eye! Really PRETTY work CL your patience bewilders me. You can wrap rods for me anytime! I saw you were considering a spinner and mentioned the St. Croix's. I have actually built 5 (2 are my own the others were for friends) 7'6" with the salmon/steelhead blank 2S76MLF2, a 2 piece fast action 6-12 lb line rated blank. It is an awesome performing and inexpensive blank at $85 ( it was only $57 up until last year) at mudhole. Check it out at customtackle.com I think they may have had a bunch of them stockpiled and their price was still in th$50's last time I checked. Another balnk to consider though if your good with or prefer one piece is the mudhole Custom Rod Builder blank made by Lamiglass. I bought one for my dad to build a rod on and it is a very nice blank, same specs as the 2S76MLF2 just 1 piece and it costs under $50.
With regards to the nubs from the thread standing proud on the finished wraps knock 'em down with an exacto knife or even sandpaper and refinish with light build epoxy. The same will work for getting those finger prints and doggy hairs.
Finally, with regards to reels check out Daiwa's Fuego. It's super light, strong and has an awesome drag. They compliment (balance well with) our light custom rods and they only run about $50 more than the Cabo's and weigh about half. The only issue I have had with mine is the internal bail trip sometimes doesn't quite flip the bail all the way over, but with braid it is actually better to flip it manually anyway. This issue may have been resolved by Daiwa by this time, I got mine within a couple of months of it being released. Oh, one more thing hasn't Quantum always been a subsidiary of Zebco?? With that I have heard a lot of good things about them, the only drawback for me, and others, is that they are heavy!
Donny

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 pm

quote]Oh, one more thing hasn't Quantum always been a subsidiary of Zebco?? [/quote]

Yes :wink: :lol:
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy