Rod building

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Rod building

Post by Bowmovement » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Now yall got me looking into building a couple rods again. Was talking to a few guys at work and said if I started to let them know. They would buy a couple from me. :D :D :D Maybe there could be some profit from this :?:

Heres some Saltwater Fly Fishing for ya....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm_YJhSA6TA

Matt

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:09 pm

One question for ya Larry...

I read that you are using a TFO blank. Do they still offer their "Lifetime No-Fault Warranty" with the blanks?

Matt
"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:24 pm

I might have to borrow a couple aspects of your rig.
Feel free, I borrowed them all too. The base is 4 feet long on this one, 3/8 BS1088 meranti :wink: . It's all made from boat building scraps.
I know the location of a small wreck that has some small Amberjacks that come up to the top and will eat anything. Most of them are 15 to 25lbs. there. I bet that would be fun on a fly rod. There are some nice kings there too...
That sounds like a good time Richard, I can't wait. I ain't above hooking up a live bait on that fly rod :wink: I'm not purist enough to have to actually use a fly :lol: We're about down to our last package of grouper too.

As slow as my guide wrapping is going, it might not be finished in a month. Got one guide and one ferule wrapped, only 9 more guides, 3 more ferules, plus tip and butt wrap to go :D If I don't cut this one off and start over. Not completely sure I like it :? We'll see, the color scheme is still a work in progress..

Per requests, I tried to take some pictures. My camera isn't great for close up work, but I guess it works better than Tom's :lol:

We'll start with the stripper guide, it's the largest. I had already made all the under wraps for the guides. Under wraps are used on almost all salt water rods and most heavy freshwater rods. The guide feet rest on these and it provides cushion between the metal feet and the bare blank. They also stiffen the rod and you can use different amounts of under wrappings to tune the action. The wraps need to be sized according to the length of the guide feet so each remain proportioned. I chose foot length plus 3/8" for under wraps.

I wanted a trim band in the center of the wrap, I think I made this one too wide, oh well, it's practice. Start by marking the center, and attaching the thread a few inches above with a piece of tape.

Wind down in a few spirals until you get to where the band starts, then wind over the spiral to lock the thread in the wrap. Wind a few more wraps and cut off the former loose end with a sharp razor. The next few wraps will cover it.

Narrow bands are the hardest to tie and secure the ends. Insert a loop of thin mono in the wrap and wind over it several times

Now keeping tension on the winding thread, cut it about 2" long and insert it through the mono loop, and use the loop to pull the thread under the wrapping. Cut it off flush, if you get a fuzzy end a cigarette lighter will melt it off.

Continued shortly...
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:57 pm

I read that you are using a TFO blank. Do they still offer their "Lifetime No-Fault Warranty" with the blanks?
Yes, full lifetime no-fault warranty 8)

Now it's time to install the guide. First you want to make sure the feet are perfectly flat, and smooth with no sharp edges that will cut the thread or cut into the rod. I first used 100 grit to flatten it, then 220 to burnish it smooth.

Center the guide on the trim band and align it with the spine alignment marks. Attach one foot with masking tape.

Start the wrap like the last one, with a piece of tape holding the thread end, a few spirals, then lock it back over itself..

Make a few wraps, pull the tape and cut off the loose end close, then a few more wraps covers it. When you get 6 or so wraps from the end, insert the mono tie-off loop..

Continue wrapping until the end, keep tension on thread, cut off, insert in loop and pull under wraps. Cut off flush.

One foot finished, remove tape and wrap other foot.

Now we'll make some trim bands on the ends..

And maybe a few more...I'm still playing with colors :lol: Straighten out all the bands with your thumb nail and burnish the wraps to smooth them out. Then they get a couple coats of color preservative and a couple of coats of epoxy.

Not too shabby, for the first one I've tied in 10 years, but I'll probably cut it off and do it over.

How's my tutorial going so far? Now yall know as much about it as I do :lol:
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bowmovement » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:10 am

Awesome job Larry. I was just watching a video of how to do some custom marbling. Looks great and not hard at all. Heres the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqgEU5ox ... r_embedded

Matt

mechdave
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by mechdave » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 am

This would make a good inexpensive wraping motor. http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... BLE/1.html
Mounted on an arm to pivot the turn table ontop of the rod butt holding it into some rollers. Vary the input voltage to get the desired rpm. I think they are making the thread thiner, as I can't hardly see if I'm overlaping or laying it alongside itself any more. :help: The only thing worse than getting older is not getting older.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 am

Thanks Matt, I'll have to check that out later. Going to bed, eyes are crossed.

It finally quit raining, now it's sleeting :cry:

Bobg
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bobg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:10 am

Excellent topic for this site. I stumbled across a rod building video at one of those video stores and rented it. That's all it took. I watched the video a few times, then bought his book, Advanced custom rod building by Dale P Clemens. That was over 20 years ago.

I built one rod, a 7'6" spinning rod, that I have no idea where it is right now. My son got me a Penn spinning reel for it, birthday gift. My very first fish was an 8# seatrout caught while wade fishing around the docks in the Indian river, just north of Melbourne Fl. I was never so proud of a fish I'd caught, as that one.

Larry, this book has detailed instruction on custom design butt wraps, among the other points of rod building. If you'd like to check it out, just PM me an address

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate the offer, but I've got that book, and his first one "Fiberglass Rod Making". That's what got me hooked a long time ago too :wink: It does have excellent information and instruction for some fancy butt wraps, and plans for several wrapping jigs. Great book, I just read it again before I started this rod.
That was over 20 years ago.
Time flies when you're having fun, I bought the first book in 1974, and Advanced Custom Rod Building in 1978, 32 years ago 8O Still haven't figured out some of those chevron wraps :doh:

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:12 am

Now I understand what you are doing Larry (since the last pics :oops: )that looks very cool 8) next time when I'm there you have to show/teach me, that is if you want of course :wink:

One question though why rings and not rollers?