Rod building

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Bowmovement
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Rod building

Post by Bowmovement » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 am

Peter, He is building a fly rod. No rollers on those :D

Matt

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 am

Peter, rollers are used for trolling rods and heavy bottom fishing rods to reduce friction and line wear, when you're pulling heavy baits all day, but you never see them on a casting rod such as a spinning or fly rod. With a fly rod you are actually casting the line, not the lure, and long casts are the goal. Roller guides would impede the line while casting. If this was a trolling rod I would use rollers.

When are you coming back? I'm hoping to see you in May for the builders meet 8) Dori has been practicing her Spanish so she can better converse with Gloria :wink:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:34 am

Bowmovement wrote:Peter, He is building a fly rod. No rollers on those :D

Matt
Whoops sorry about yhat :oops: but still these(posted by maddog) don't have rollers either

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 am

Peter, those rods in the pic above are made for heavy surf casting. Again, rollers would impede the casting distance.

Notice in this pic, these are trolling rods and they have roller guides. Trolling rods use rollers, casting rods don't :wink:

"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 am

Cracker Larry wrote:Peter, rollers are used for trolling rods and heavy bottom fishing rods to reduce friction and line wear, when you're pulling heavy baits all day, but you never see them on a casting rod such as a spinning or fly rod. With a fly rod you are actually casting the line, not the lure, and long casts are the goal. Roller guides would impede the line while casting. If this was a trolling rod I would use rollers.

When are you coming back? I'm hoping to see you in May for the builders meet 8) Dori has been practicing her Spanish so she can better converse with Gloria :wink:
Posted just a minute later, yeah I understand now after Bowmovement his comment, thought you where building an other rod, Not sure yet if I'll be there in may I really want to, but if I come Gloria won't be there she also wants to visit her family in the DR, are you bringing No Excuse?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:44 am

are you bringing No Excuse?
Of course :!: I'm not bringing Dori though, she interferes with my fishing :lol:

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:45 am

Cracker Larry wrote:Peter, those rods in the pic above are made for heavy surf casting. Again, rollers would impede the casting distance.

Notice in this pic, these are trolling rods and they have roller guides. Trolling rods use rollers, casting rods don't :wink:
Jee you must have a sharp eye now a days I thought those where the same :oops:

cparkerc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cparkerc » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:47 am

FINALLY, a topic i know a little about! I've been building for a few years, got about 50 rods under my belt. Mostly fly rods, but have done a lot of spinning, casting, and light saltwater rods also. If you want to see some real thread art go to rodbuilding.org. there is a picture gallery there. Search for "baby dragon" These weaves are unbelievable! Great hobby for me, but has taken a sideline since i started buying boat plans.

cparkerc
Fort Collins, CO

edit- figured out how to post a pic - here is one i had at work - cedar (juniper) grip and reel seat i turned for a 5 wt i built for a friend.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... handle.jpg

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:15 am

That's beautiful :!: Let's put it here..

rjezuit
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by rjezuit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:17 am

Obviously works of art or wall hangers. I sure wouldn't want to mess those up with fish guts. Rick