"Handcrafted Port Light"

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

"Handcrafted Port Light"

Post by Joe H » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:59 pm

I seen this port light design in Wooden Boat magazine and thought they were pretty cool so decided to draw them up 3-D in CAD to fit my P19, I'm not 100% certain I have the skills to build them with the precision needed so I will keep looking for an inexpensive pair on E-Bay, but we will see when the time comes.

I have the individual parts dimensioned for build to a specific size, as shown below, but if anyone on this site is interested I can modify them for any size opening.

What do ya all think, the article in Wooden Boat really hyped them up.

Joe H
Last edited by Joe H on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Completed: OD16, P19, FS14, V12 in progress

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Home Made Port light

Post by gstanfield » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:42 pm

The drawing looks nice, but I'm not really seeing exactly what it's supposed to do. Does the rounded wedge piece slide down in the wedged opening to hold the glass tight against the hull? Then you would remove it, flip the glass inward and put the rounded wedge piece between the glass and hull to keep the light open? Sorry if my question sounds stupid, but I'm just making sure I see it right.

I really need to get a subscription to woodenboat magazine, maybe then I could just read the artical and not sound so stupid :oops:

George

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 pm

That's it George, very simple, plus you can take the plexyglass out and insert a screen in it's place.

Joe H

sitandfish
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by sitandfish » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:21 am

Joe H wrote:...What do ya all think, the article in Wooden Boat really hyped them up.

Joe H
Cleaver. Appreciate you doing the drawings. :wink:

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:15 am

Cool, now I feel smart that I understood it just from the drawing. Of course maybe I'm not all that smart and you just do really good drawings :D I'll definately keep this in mind for future reference 8)

chicagoross
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by chicagoross » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:33 am

I saw those and liked them too. The wood "spring" looked hard :doh: , then I realized it's just a wedge, run a hole saw through at the big end, and then run the jigsaw from the hole to the skinny end.

Start adding up the cost of multiple store-bought ports, and these look better and better. Especially when you realize that you need to buy the ports at roughly the same time as all of your cleats, hatches, inspection ports, .... :D

callyb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by callyb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:18 am

Joe, I'm up in Oscoda. If you are interested, I have a carvewright machine (a.k.a. compucarve) and could cut these out with some pretty good precision. I would just need to get the wood from you.

You can send me an email if you would like.

Carl
A boat is just a hole in the water you throw money into....

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:12 am

Good post, thank you.
It is an old but well proven design. I have seen on old wooden boats but can be used on our boats.
In bad weather, the plexiglass is vertical against cabin side and kept in place tight with the wedge.
In moderate weather, the plexi is leaning towards the inside with the wedge on the outside. It vents and drains outside.
In real good weather, you take the plexi out for maximum air circulation.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:32 am

That is indeed a neat idea Joe. I like it!

I can think of something that might help prevent mishaps though. A couple of 6 inch long pieces of tiny mutistrand ss cable with an small eyehook on each end. Attach one end to each to the wedges and the other ends to the frame with small panhead screws. That might prevent losing one overboard during a window change :)

Cool you are coming south to the BBM next year 8) Looking forward to it my friend...

Richard
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Joe H
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Joe H » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks for the comments,
Especially when you realize that you need to buy the ports at roughly the same time as all of your cleats, hatches, inspection ports, ....
My motivation for drawing these up, plus I love to take time away from work (Lunch time :) ) and draw something other then work related item's on CAD, we call it goverment work, plus it keeps my skills up on the system when I run into problems that are work related,(that's for my Boss in case he's reading this)

Carl, I might take you up on that, what kind of file would you need for compucarve?

Also, I have access to White Oak & Mahogany, I wonder what would be the best wood to use? Either would look very nice.
In moderate weather, the plexi is leaning towards the inside with the wedge on the outside. It vents and drains outside.
I never thought about that, you are very welcome Jacques.
I can think of something that might help prevent mishaps though. A couple of 6 inch long pieces of tiny mutistrand ss cable with an small eyehook on each end. Attach one end to each to the wedges and the other ends to the frame with small panhead screws. That might prevent losing one overboard during a window change
With a brass eyehook on each end, funtional and looking good!
Cool you are coming south to the BBM next year Looking forward to it my friend...
Richard
After your guy's last fishing report I wouldn't miss it, we already made our resevations at the Innlet.

I am serious about modifying the size if anyone has a need for them, I set them up in CAD to be parametric driven, what that means is I should just be able to change the parameter (dimension) and hit the update button and the CAD model should modify to the new dim, that's how it's supposed to work anyways. :roll:

Thanks!
Joe