nm

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: New rules coming for Gasoline tanks hoses ect...

Post by tech_support » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 am

My understanding (could be wrong) is that according to the article, all the old poly tanks do not comply to the new permeability requirement.

For those who wish to do it, I am in the process of sourcing all the part necessary to build a fuel system like the carbon trap one cited in that article.

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:27 am

Ok. Would I proceed as normal with my Perko fill and Atwood vent I have selected and then plan for the retro fit when you have it available? Or will it change the selection of the fill and vent hardware? The reason I ask is I haven't drilled the hole for the vent.

Here is where I am reading it doesn't apply to outboards. Look about 1/2 way down the page to the section titled "This does not apply to:" and you will see Outboards and Portable Equipment. This may be just this guys interpretation and he could be wrong. Or I could be reading it wrong too.

http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27
Build Photos at Fly Fishing Monk's Phantom 18
Work Bio at Provision Retirement

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:54 pm

I just read through the westlawn article, and it said that "some crosslinked polymer tanks are already compliant." I just don't know how to figure out which ones are compliant. Attwood has apparently developed an integrated fuel system that is compliant, but once again I can't figure out how to buy one. :x Here's a picture..

My question is that for those of us who have already installed a cross linked polymer tank, what do we do? Especially since my boat has not been certified yet. The way I read the article, it seems like older boats are going to be grandfathered in, and will not have to have the same compliance.

I'm confused.......Maybe by the time I actually get my boat ready for the water they'll have this crap sorted out :lol:

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Do you have a link for that pic?
Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act. PR 3:27

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Daddy

Post by Daddy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:51 pm

flyfishingmonk wrote:Do you have a link for that pic?
Totally off subject... who hosts your blog??
Daddy

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:03 pm

What kind of contraption is that?!?!?!? Leave it to the EPA.

I use the Thesis Template run on top of the WordPress platform. :D I have been so busy at work and at building I haven't stopped to write anything recently.

Daddy

Post by Daddy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks, sorry for the hijack

flyfishingmonk
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by flyfishingmonk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

So I read through all the documentation and this really sucks because I have purchased my tanks, vents and fills. This easily racked up $300 or $400 in cost. So what about this idea as an alternative?

I purchase a portable tank and pass my test, and then when I'm home I install my current fuel system. I didn't see anything in what I read about changing something after the fact. :wink: Thoughts?

Prarie Dog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Prarie Dog » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:36 pm

Just a little background on these systems. The system in the illustration is the same one that was used on US Automobiles beginning in 1974 (appx.). It is an inactive system, thus it is very reliable. I don't recall any problems with these setups other than most of them were yanked off of a car and trashed fairly early in a cars life. Sometime around 1980 cars went to a closed system that used a purge valve to draw the vapor pressure off of the tank and run the vapor thru the engine and burn it. In 1996 when OBDII came about manufacturers were required to monitor tank pressure and have programming in the Engine Managment Computer that would turn on the Check Engine Light if it was too low or high. At this time many elderly people had trouble with their Check Engine Light being on because they couldn't get the Gas Cap tight enough to seal the tank. I deal with several of these lights a week.

When I first heard about the new marine requirement I thought, oh no, they're going to make us have an active purge system with a canister, purge valve, pressure sensor and a seperate computer to monitor and operate all that stuff.

Frankly, I'm relieved how simple the requirement is. :D