My site...

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
CMP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

My site...

Post by CMP » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:07 pm

I had apparently put this in the wrong place, but JM told me to throw my metal fab and fishing site here. Suggestions and comments welcome since I'm updating and adding as I go along...

http://home.comcast.net/~giantbluefin1/ ... html-.html

CMP

cvlngineer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cvlngineer » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:48 pm

You do great work! I think that is the next thing I need to teach myself; how to make my own T-top. It sure would have been nice today...I forgot my sunscreen and got scorched.

cvlngineer

CMP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CMP » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:29 am

LOL, thanks for the compliment, but A POX ON YOUR HOUSE!!!! It was 35 here yesterday and 40/rainy today thru Sat...

CMP :help:

cvlngineer
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cvlngineer » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:04 pm

LOL, I don't need any pox...I am in shear agony already! I need to find a large vat of aloe vera gel to dive into!

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:21 pm

I'm with CMP, you can picture me playing my little violin while I read your sunburn complaints... :D

I am still tyring to warm my epoxy enough to continue working on my boat.

JamesSloan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JamesSloan » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:29 pm

Nice work! You know, I've never seen a good site devoted to plans and tips on T-Tops and other tubing structures. As much as they cost retail, making your own seems very appealing. For the cost of one simple T-top, I could buy an appropriate welder and enough stock to learn and build something. I might have to farm out the bending though. Anybody have a link to a site that might help me get started?

CMP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CMP » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:05 am

"For the cost of one simple T-top, I could buy an appropriate welder and enough stock to learn and build something. I might have to farm out the bending though."

Careful, that is unlikely. A good used TiG welder will set you back a bunch of money, welding aluminum is an acquired art form not easily perfected (I'm still trying :lol: ) and aluminum stock is at all-time highs right now. I'm lucky since I already have all that stuff available to me; a one-off will cost you a ton. That said, if you want to do as I am-have fun with welding and make things for ppl at reasonable pricing, you're on the right track. Bending is pretty strait forward, BTW. I have 2 benders; one is an expensive mandrel bender at around $6g and the other, the one I use 95% of the time, is a $100 ebay special-a 12 ton hydraulic bender that works great. Good luck...

CMP

BruceM

Post by BruceM » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:49 pm

Nice stuff there CMP.
I recognized your name from the striper forum but wasn't sure if that was you. I have read many of your posts over there too. I go by slipknot over there. I am building a GV-11 and am about to start painting it.

CMP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by CMP » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:02 pm

Good luck with that, Bruce. I think you should put a tuna tower on that bad boy-lol!!!

CMP

JamesSloan
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by JamesSloan » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:32 pm

You're right....first rate or pro level equipment would be prohibitive. I'd just like to pick up something functional and learn a new skill. My standard stick welding is passable, but I've never worked with aluminum before. Any tips on brands or models that might work well but not break the bank?