Favorite Tools

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Favorite Tools

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:05 pm

There was a discussion on another thread about sanders and vacs. I thought rather than totally hijacking that thread I would ask in a new one.
So we all know there is plenty of time and work involved to build a boat but what tools help you the most? All my work is indoors so I looking at sanders and vacs to keep the dust down but I know there are other things that really help to save time and or do a better job?
Thanks, Fuzz

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Favorite Tools

Post by Fred in Wisc » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:20 pm

I have 4 favorites.

#4 is the Festool PS300EQ jigsaw. I've had a lot of different jigsaws over the years and this is the best one.

#3 is the Porter Cable 690 series variable speed router. Makes a lot of jobs precise and easy and makes me appear to be more skilled at finish work than I really am.

#2 the Fein Multimaster oscillating tool. I've had it for about 10 years and it's saved me tons of time. With the Sonicrafter now available that might be a better choice in terms of price/performance. But the Fein was the only game in town when I bought it.

#1 is the ninja master of sanding technology- the Festool ETS150/5 6" random orbital with CTS22 dust extractor. I build in the basement right next to the laundry room and I can sand fiberglass without leaving dust or making anybody itchy. It's quiet, feels super precise, gives excellent finishes, and makes me dislike sanding a lot less. Amazing dust collection right at the tool, and HEPA filters. It's not a cheap date, but it's totally worth it.

And you can never have too many clamps......

Boat building is a great excuse for acquiring new tools.
Last edited by Fred in Wisc on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:37 pm

I'll have to second the Fein Multimaster. I borrowed a couple other multitools from friends over the years but then needed something to sand all my exterior doors on the house. I spent 10 or 12 hours behind the Fein over 4 doors and it's so much better than the less expensive ones. My hands didn't feel the vibration and it's strong as an ox, I had to turn it down sometimes. Also it has a 16' cord, it's the little things.

A new tool I have been experimenting with is the Dura-Grit sanding products. The Dura Grit tools are carbide sanding tools, supposed to wear forever. I had their block sander for my boat project and loved it, very aggressive and lasted almost the whole time. I wore it out. Dropped it 100 times and eventually wore the sanding screen off the wood block. The block also is cut with 90 degree sides so you can use it to square things up.

I recently purchased a Duragrit sanding disk for my RO. It was a beast. It attacked and removed epoxy and glass like I had never seen before, . It is however fragile. I tripped over the cord two hours after opening it and it was wrecked when it hit the floor, bent beyond repair. The company replaced it when I told them what I did!!!! so big bonus points there. One downside is if the epoxy is a bit soft it can adhere to the metal disk and stay there. Also i think it can get hot enough to melt rather than cut the epoxy and you have the same issue, gooey disk.

Other downside is they are ridiculously expensive but if RO disks work like I hope it would be worth it.

Jason

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:19 pm

bigtalljv wrote:
I recently purchased a Duragrit sanding disk for my RO. It was a beast. It attacked and removed epoxy and glass like I had never seen before, . It is however fragile. I tripped over the cord two hours after opening it and it was wrecked when it hit the floor, bent beyond repair. The company replaced it when I told them what I did!!!! so big bonus points there. One downside is if the epoxy is a bit soft it can adhere to the metal disk and stay there. Also i think it can get hot enough to melt rather than cut the epoxy and you have the same issue, gooey disk.

Other downside is they are ridiculously expensive but if RO disks work like I hope it would be worth it.

Jason
I have a hull that I want to rebuild. It is 20 years old but the gel coat is not fully set up and hard. When I try to sand it off it gums up the disk instead of cutting. I have cleaned up the transom so far and I ended up using an 8 inch 16 grit disk with a slow speed (1500 rpm) grinder. Do you think one of those disks would work for this?

bigtalljv
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bigtalljv » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:05 pm

that sounds like a job for one of my other favorite tools, a soda blaster! Although maybe I used the soda as it took off the paint and not the gel coat???? that was two years ago...

I can't really say, I don't have that much experience with them but if it's clogging sandpaper it would probably clog those too although there are less grit pieces.

Jason

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:15 pm

bigtalljv wrote:that sounds like a job for one of my other favorite tools, a soda blaster! Although maybe I used the soda as it took off the paint and not the gel coat???? that was two years ago...

Jason
Thanks Jason! That is a good idea I had not thought about. I do not think there is anyone here that does soda blasting but some course sand and sand blasting would make short work of it I bet. The hull is thick enough that losing a layer or two would be no big deal :lol:
After getting the gel coat off I may have to break down and spring for the FesTool sander/vac combo. It is a lot of money but I have found good tools are worth the cost in the long run. I could use a shop vac but having the vac kick on when you start the sander sure sounds nice.
Fuzz

kcinnick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kcinnick » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:24 pm

I have been browsing dust collection. I know my shop vac filter clogs in about 10 seconds with fine dust. There is a company that makes a baffle in line that collects "99%" of dust before it gets to the shop vac. Add that to a simple tool vacuum switch and you can save a bundle of money.

I am going to stick to my Ridgid shop vacs. I tried to kill one I thought was on its last leg a couple years ago to speed up the free replacement from home depot. I purchased a new to me 5hp variable speed bridgeport mill and I wanted to clean up the table. I sucked up not only the stuff we where playing with, yes playing a 5hp mill can do amazing things, but also cleaned up the previous owners metal shavings. It was still kicking so I brought it to my metal lathe to clean out the chip tray... that stupid vacuum is still running. I have a few of them kicking around my store and home. My gunsmith still uses that ridgid to clean up metal shavings...

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Can you point me to where I can get one of those inline traps? Sounds like a good thing to try.
Fuzz

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:05 am

Fuzz this is the first stage collector that I have. Have reduced the outlet down to my Shop Vacs inlet which I have a HEPA filter on. http://woodworker.com/two-stage-collect ... 51-145.asp Have built a lot of cabinets for customers and for the house. As well as rebuilding the Mirror Dingy that my wife built with her dad. I have almost no dust and a quick wipe down with a tack cloth removes any dust that may be there.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

kcinnick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by kcinnick » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:27 am

The one I see get the best reviews is the dust deputy. I haven't tried one out yet, but it looks to be a nice portable size for working on a boat. Dust Deputy makes them small and large. That jet system looks like something you would put on much larger dust collector, something I haven't ruled out, but I am leaning towards the Dust Deputy.