Sure is quiet around here...

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Sure is quiet around here...

Post by Fuzz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:33 am

Larry and Marc,
I am like you guys when it comes to living away from it all. That is why I live where I do. I have one neighbour and I have known him for 40 years. He is not around too much as he is gone fishing for 8 months out of the year. I am getting to the point in life where I would like to miss most of the winters here but I do not know where to go that is both warm and not wall to wall people. :doh: Plus only having 5 hours and 45 minutes of daylight gets old. But hey we have turned the corner, today is 15 seconds longer than yesterday :lol: It sure sounds like Larry has found a nice place to be but I do not think I could handle the summers there.
Fuzz

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:58 pm

Fuzz I'm like Larry I have 34 acres in the mountains in NC. I don't get the heat that he does. I am surrounded by National forest and have deer, bear and wild hog on my property. It is easy driving distant driving distant 12mi to a large lake that has trout and walleye and bass. Look up Fontana Lake. The Swain county is also known for the trout streams for fly fishing. The Appalachian trail is near by for hiking.

The average temps here are 80's in the summer and 20's in the winter. We average 20" of snow, have had up to 3' at one time.

If you like and you get down to the southeast we have a spare bed room and you would be welcome to visit.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:02 pm

All those spots sound fantastic 8) Anywhere but where there are peeps - especially the ones with a mouth :lol:
Well of all the shitty timing...huge windstorm at the cottage and the power has been out for 4 hours. F-it all, drove home :roll: :help: Just when I was in the mood for my evening :x There goes my plan.

All I need now are the sirens. FML

Marc

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:29 pm

TomW1 wrote:

The average temps here are 80's in the summer and 20's in the winter. We average 20" of snow, have had up to 3' at one time.

If you like and you get down to the southeast we have a spare bed room and you would be welcome to visit.

Tom
Tom,
Thanks for the invite. That is mighty nice of you. I am hoping to make a trip sometime next year. I am not sure of the timing yet. Too far in advance. I really would like to make one of the builders get together. I am sort of planning on retiring the middle of 2016 and if that happens I will be a lot more flexible with my timing. It would be nice to spend some time looking over that part of the world as I have spent very little time there.
Fuzz

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:35 am

Fuzz your always welcome we are about 3 hours north of Atlanta and 6 hrs. north of Cracker Larry. So if you want to visit this part of the south please feel free to call on me.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:35 am

Fuzz your always welcome we are about 3 hours north of Atlanta and 6 hrs. north of Cracker Larry. So if you want to visit this part of the south please feel free to call on me.

Tom

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:26 am

You are welcome here too, Fuzz. We have a spare room here in the swamp, lots of forum members have used it 8) Always happy to have them.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas. We did. It was sort of weird, first Christmas that I didn't have my mother, but we had a large time. 10 people, 4 puppies and 4 adult dogs staying here for 3 days. Kids, family and friends, it doesn't get any better :D

This is our new pup, Lilly...

With her sister Scully...not sure why we had 3 yellow pups and 2 pure black ones...

The fuzz ball is her brother Casper...

Turn em all loose and let them have fun, it don't matter...

We can clean up later :lol:

Yep, very good Christmas. Family, friends, dogs and love. Don't need anything else, got everything. Take a lesson from the dogs and be happy with the wrapping paper. Doesn't matter what's in it :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:20 pm

Yep, very good Christmas. Family, friends, dogs and love. Don't need anything else, got everything. Take a lesson from the dogs and be happy with the wrapping paper. Doesn't matter what's in it :D

It does not get any more true than what Larry said. Way too many of us forget what's really important in life.
Thank you to both Tom and Larry for the invitation into your homes. There are not many places where you can know folks only through the net and be treated like this. Just one more reason I enjoy this forum. If/when my plans firm up I will post more.
Also if any of you on this site make it to Alaska please let me know. I have extra room and a boat or two.
Fuzz

blueflood
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by blueflood » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:51 pm

Hi Larry,

Fun pix :D Sounds like like you had a perfect time; Mom in spirit. Same for when Dad died, 6 kids and Mom - differently quiet but over the years, all the other new voices around because of him :D

Just this weekend my family had mentioned why don't I get a dog :roll: So I started to look for breeds which are great for single guys (until boat is done :lol: ) and live in apartment but enjoys moderate activity and of course the outdoors. I wonder about the crying when I am at work (the dog that is) but the fun times in between. Never had one but had exotic cats, leash walkable too 8). Anyhow not one two sites about the subject have even one breed in common - I will keep looking. Beagle or slightly bigger size, quiet, low maintenance short fur and not pansy looking. I will also consider one from the SPCA.

After seeing your living room 8O ...hmmm maybe rethink my plan :lol:

Marc

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:20 pm

BF - if you get a rescue puppy and must leave it alone during the day, consider this (or an equivalent in your country) as an alternative.
http://www.campbowwow.com/

The concept is superb: You take your dog there one day and they "interview" the dog for the day (it's a free day). They are looking for any signs of aggressiveness toward dogs and people, which gets the dog booted.
If the dog is not aggressive then this place is heaven for a dog while alive - they divide the dogs into 3 sizes and each size has their own area and the dogs play with other dogs their size all day long. There is always 1 or 2 humans in the area at all times and they keep the areas very clean - mopping them every day.
There is nothing more spectacular to see than a whooped puppy - you pick it back up after work and my little beagle sized rescue would be asleep before we got out of the parking lot. The intensity of the exercise they get wrestling and chasing and whatever is enough to keep ours wiped for about 1.5 days and then she is about charged back up to go back again. On the 2nd day she can't wait to get in the truck to go back. We take her 3 days a week.
We started her there at 6 months and she was the dog that would never let up and would have to be put in her "cabin" for a time out. Now she is 1.5 years old and I think she paces herself well now, napping more than wrestling probably, and she can't keep up with the 6 months olds anymore :lol:
My thoughts are, either you can wear the dog out yourself or it's going to get into trouble while you're not there - so why not let someone else wear the dog out for you and then when you get them back, they are mild mannered and are "a different dog" plus they get socialized while they are there. Our pup is very timid and is skiddish toward people but loves other dogs as long as they are not aggressive. She is starting to mellow now.
Now if I can get her to mellow out on cats :lol: