16' Skinny Water Skiff

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 16' Skinny Water Skiff

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:21 am

Will there be a butt block under that seam? The one just above the frame?

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eagle24 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:08 am

jacquesmm wrote:Will there be a butt block under that seam? The one just above the frame?
Not sure which seam you are talking about. The rear clamps holding down the 1x2 to distribute the weight are above a seam. The forward clamps are also located on a seam. Both seams are centered on top of a 3/4" frame, so each piece of plywood catches 3/8". I had thought I would just put fillets and 12oz biaxial tape on each side of all the frames on the inside and possibly tape the seams on the outside as well before I apply the 6oz fiberglass cloth to the hull. Do I need more support?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:28 pm

The seam in the bottom.
Is there nothing else there to cover the seam but the frame? Only 3/8" overlap?
That looks weak. I agree that you should generously cover that with several layers of fiberglass.

eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eagle24 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 pm

jacquesmm wrote:The seam in the bottom.
Is there nothing else there to cover the seam but the frame? Only 3/8" overlap?
That looks weak. I agree that you should generously cover that with several layers of fiberglass.
I'm open to suggestion. There is no instruction with the plan on how to sheet the bottom. For the remainder of the bottom at the bow, I plan to plank it with narrow strips of plywood. I thought I would fair it and glass it on the outside, then plank it with more narrow strips on the inside (perpendicular to the outer planking) and glass the inside too. Keep in mind that the plywood is attached to the 2x keelson down the center and the chine log on the sides. The seams on the bottom of the boat do not occur on the same frames as the seams on the sides. Actually, the sides utilize a plywood doubler about 10" wide and don't occur at frames at all. The sole will be seamed on different frames as well. I figured once everything is glassed it would be plenty strong, but I am far from a boat engineer. :help:

What do you think?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:49 am

I have seen one of those plans but never noticed the lack of a butt block on the bottom. I understand that he counts on the keelson but you still have an "hinge" in that panel.
It's too late to add a butt block, just add a couple of layers of fiberglass tape over the seam, inside and outside. On the inside, the tape will go from the bottom over the frame. 2 layers will be solid.

I may be exceedingly cautious but it is easy to strengthen it now. It will not break but a crack may appear.
Again, it's my design. I know that most of his plans (and some other in that style) have very transversal framing but few longitudinals except for the chine log and keelson. That means the bottom could work (flex) lengthwise.

eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eagle24 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:01 pm

jacquesmm wrote:I have seen one of those plans but never noticed the lack of a butt block on the bottom. I understand that he counts on the keelson but you still have an "hinge" in that panel.
It's too late to add a butt block, just add a couple of layers of fiberglass tape over the seam, inside and outside. On the inside, the tape will go from the bottom over the frame. 2 layers will be solid.

I may be exceedingly cautious but ti is easy to strengthen it now. It will not break but a crack may appear.
Again, it's my design. I know that most of his plans (and some other in that style) have very transversal framing but few longitudinals except for the chine log and keelson. That means the bottom could work (flex) lengthwise.
Thanks. That panel is where the twist begins as the bottom transitions to a "V" at the bow. I might have been able to eliminate the joint on the frame by carrying the second sheet forward to the next frame with a split down the middle. From the last frame to the stem, impossible. I had to go down to 1-1/2" strips to deal with the twist, and I'm not sure I won't have to drop to 1" before I reach the stem. I may place a bottom stringer between the frames as well, but I will glass everything well, inside and out.

eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eagle24 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:04 pm

A little more progress on the skiff. About a foot left, and I will gladly move on to the painting. :lol:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:58 am

Now that I see the bow, I remember what happens there: it can not be shaped with plywood sheet and you must use small planks and fiberglass.

For those who did not read the whole thread, this is not a bateau design.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:39 pm

Eagle24, You have made me thankful I went with a Bateau boat! Best wishes!!

eagle24
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by eagle24 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:43 pm

Eric1 wrote:Eagle24, You have made me thankful I went with a Bateau boat! Best wishes!!
Yeah, my next one will be a Bateau boat. The plans and support (none that I know of) stink on this one. I feel like I'm building from scratch and making it work as I go. Actually, that is what I'm doing now that I think of it. The forward portion has been, and is, a pain in the butt. Aside from that, it is lining up very well with the rest of the bottom and won't require as much grinding and fairing as it might appear in the pic.