middle age guy trying to remember how to fish!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Rob Eades
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

middle age guy trying to remember how to fish!

Post by Rob Eades » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:17 pm

Setting up a new spinning reel this week.My experience with spinning reels has been about once a year for the last five years,never really got it down.I'm right handed, so should I make myself retrieve with my left hand, even thought it feels awkward? I'm 55 and starting over from scratch. :doh:

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: middle age guy trying to remember how to fish!

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:32 am

Rob Eades wrote:Setting up a new spinning reel this week.My experience with spinning reels has been about once a year for the last five years,never really got it down.I'm right handed, so should I make myself retrieve with my left hand, even thought it feels awkward? I'm 55 and starting over from scratch. :doh:
Left handed retrieve is recommended for right handed people, the movie tells you why, but If it feels that awkward maybe try a right handed retrieve reel?

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:41 am

If it feels that awkward maybe try a right handed retrieve reel?
Almost all spinning reels have reverse-able handles. Just move it to the side you are most comfortable with. Most people prefer to hold the rod in their strong hand for casting accuracy, and reel with the weak hand.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:
Almost all spinning reels have reverse-able handles. Just move it to the side you are most comfortable with.
Yes most of them do, I figured he didn't had one, but maybe he does

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I cast with my right and quickly switch to my left and reel with my right. Have never gotten the knack of reeling with the left even after 63 years of fishing.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:12 pm

TomW1 wrote:I cast with my right and quickly switch to my left and reel with my right. Have never gotten the knack of reeling with the left even after 63 years of fishing.

Tom
I noticed that when you fished on my boat...
The problem with that method is if you need to make a fine adjustment of the bail, you will have to switch hands twice.
Also, changing the hand of a spinning reel at sea can result in lost parts :lol:
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

Steven

Post by Steven » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:06 pm

I'm right handed. I cast with my right hand and reel with my left. I can reel with my right if I have too, it's not nearly as comfortable.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:37 pm

I cast with my right and quickly switch to my left and reel with my right. Have never gotten the knack of reeling with the left even after 63 years of fishing.
I don't recommend that method either :lol:

I find it strange that most right handed people using spinning rods prefer the handle on the left, but almost all conventional reels use a right hand reel handle for right handed people :doh:
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

willg
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by willg » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:00 am

Cracker Larry wrote: I find it strange that most right handed people using spinning rods prefer the handle on the left, but almost all conventional reels use a right hand reel handle for right handed people :doh:
I have thought that strange as well, but it's what I did myself for a long time. I prefer a bait caster for working lures/plastics, and a few years ago went to a left hand retrieve Curado. It felt great right away - cast and control the spool with the right hand, then it stays put for the retrieve. Can't believe I didn't figure that one out a long time ago.

topwater

Post by topwater » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:39 am

When i was using bait casting reels i ordered left hand retrieve , could never get use to right.
Novi 23 finally launched !