Poly panga trip to town'

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Poly panga trip to town'

Post by cape man » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:23 am

That my friend is a yarn (or two) that I'd love to hear over a pint (or two). Hope the grandson is okay. Bacteria like that are scary.

The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

woylie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by woylie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 am

Good evening folks.
Went to see the young fella at the hospital.They've got him on a drip and a drain in his arm to drain the pus out of the infection.
Tomorrow the pathology results are due and they should be able to fine tune the antibiotics.
It is amazing how quickly these bugs can flare up.I suppose the blood temperature is much the same as the sea in these parts, so they are quite at home in the bloodstream.
I always apply Betadine to any wounds or whisky is also good.This time of the year your skin is always moist and bacteria and fungi thrive.
I'll give an update tomorrow.Thanks for your kind thoughts.Cheers!

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:30 pm

All the best for your grandson, at least you knew immediately what he had. My son was on a world trip and stayed 2 weeks on the Fidji Islands and informed us 3 weeks later he has been operated on his foot in Houston Texas hospital. As a parent one worries a lot especially when the info is not detailed. When he arrived home 2 months later he let the cat out of the sack that he had high fever and a worm operated out of his foot which must have entered thru a small wound on his big toe in humid Fidji.
I hope your grandson gets soon well and is as lucky as my son who recovered within a week.
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:09 pm

We certainly hope you grandson's health improves quickly!!! Jeff

woylie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by woylie » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:49 am

The pathology results for the blood samples were inconclusive so they extracted some fluid from his elbow to try to culture the bacteria.They are trying another antibiotic twice a day as a drip.
I'll let you know as soon as the results come through.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:09 am

Woylie, very scary situation!! Hope they find the the bacteria and are able to treat it swiftly!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:10 pm

woylie wrote:The pathology results for the blood samples were inconclusive so they extracted some fluid from his elbow to try to culture the bacteria.They are trying another antibiotic twice a day as a drip.
Woylie best wishes to your grandson. I contracted the worst flesh eating bacteria here in the states 3 years ago. It took them 2 biopsies until they figured out what it was, as it not that common. Then they gave me the strongest antibiotic to take 4 times a day for 3 weeks.

Hope they find what it is soon and get him on a treatment regimen.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:54 pm

TomW1 wrote:
woylie wrote:The pathology results for the blood samples were inconclusive so they extracted some fluid from his elbow to try to culture the bacteria.They are trying another antibiotic twice a day as a drip.
Woylie best wishes to your grandson. I contracted the worst flesh eating bacteria here in the states 3 years ago. It took them 2 biopsies until they figured out what it was, as it not that common. Then they gave me the strongest antibiotic to take 4 times a day for 3 weeks.

Hope they find what it is soon and get him on a treatment regimen.
A local dentist contracted the flesh eating bacteria wade fishing on the Texas coast. He lost part of a leg. :(

Newt
ALLIGATOR LAKE

woylie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by woylie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:17 am

Its 1500 hrs here and they are about to operate under general anaesthetic to remove pus as there is only a pinhole where the infection started.
thanks again for your kind thoughts.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:42 pm

I sure hope the surgery went well for your grandson. That is a nasty bug!

I've been real lucky with all the fish and other assorted funky cuts I've had over the years, never much worried about them unless they needed stitches, but I ain't like most people :lol: I know a few who have had serious problems. All the commercial and charter boat captains around here swear by pouring clorox (bleach) on every cut and prick.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose