GrabRail

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

GrabRail

Post by Dougster » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:09 pm

UPS dropped off this beauty from Bateau three days early :) Just check out the packing. Best I've ever seen, and they included enough blue insulating foam to build a small cooler!

It sure makes the little SK14 guy pop. Lightweight aluminum, beautiful welds, nice rod holder, and all four feet perfectly level. Now I've got to mount it, and would sure welcome some advice.

It sits over the sole and doubler for a total of 3/4" of ply. Right under that is flotation foam. Those neat little blind thru bolts with the lever thing to pull will jam against the foam unless I really work out with the allen wrench/drill thing? Maybe overdrill almost all the way thru the 3/4" and then plant a t-bolt? Lord there's 14 of 'em and they'd all have to be perfect. Maybe just one on each leg and screws for the rest? Bury a screw in wet epoxy, then back it out so the epoxy would have grooved recess for the screw? Hell just screw it down? Duct tape maybe :)

Advice welcome

Dougster

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: GrabRail

Post by Fuzz » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:41 pm

No good idea for mounting the grab rail but the boat sure looks good. And I see the model there under it. Sort of a momma and baby deal :lol:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:48 am

Dougster, thank you for the kind comments but must give credit to Reid as he packs all of our outgoing grab rails that way as we don't want those beauties damaged!!! It does look great sitting on your SK14!!! Please follow up with us with photos when you figure out final installation of the grab rail!!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:33 am

Why not reverse the screw idea and embed a bolt so you have mounting studs?

Create plywood template of mounting bracket (1/2" larger diameter) with bolt holes drilled. Use hole saw to cut large enough hole in deck to accommodate stud plate. Make stud plate 1/4" diameter larger than hole made with saw. Drill stud holes using template. Trim 1/4" flat spot in one side. Dig out foam to allow installation of stud plate. Cover one side of template with six mill poly with stud plate "in" the right position fill hole thickened epoxy like making a transducer plug. Use template (plastic down) with nuts to draw stud plate tight to deck.

You'd need to make some alignment marks on the template and deck to ensue alignment (or use one big sheet of plywood but that would be hard to get plate 2-4 under). Also be careful not to over fill the hole as squeeze out would be messy to clean up. Maybe just use enough epoxy to adhere studplate at first and complete fill with second pass. Also consider a jamb nut and washers to hold bolt on stud plate.

While a bit more work and a bit more effort to replace should studs rust (use GOOD ss bolts!!) I think this overbuilt solution might last a lot longer.

For the record, this is not my idea. I saw it on a YouTube vid for SV Seeker (75' steel Junk being home built).
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 am

There are SS toggle bolts available and that is why I show the thick backing plate on the plans.
The toggle bolts work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Just my opinion, but I think everyone's making this way too complicated. 14 of the largest stainless wood screws that will fit the base plate holes, drill pilot holes, bed in 5200, and you're done. With 14 Screws, and 5200, it would never move so much as a micron, in fact remove the screws, and I guarantee the 5200 would make it nearly impossible to remove.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:15 pm

I forgot to say that use screws with the coarsest thread you can find, don't drill the pilot holes to big, but drill all the through the wood backing so the full length of the screw is completely through the backer board. The holes in the base plates will probably accommodate a screw up to 1/4" in diameter, which will be like 14 coarse threaded lag bolts. Personally I always bed with silicone because it's easier to remove hardware, and it provides a watertight seal forever if done correctly. You could not possibly apply enough force to the grab rail on such a small light boat, the boat would move before the screws and bedding compound gave out. I know from experience that without screws in those 4 base plates, a 12 lb. sledge wouldn't move the rail without totally destroying it. My poling platform on the FS18 is attached this way with silicone, not indestructible 5200, and it has not moved in 6 months of hard use.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Three ways so far. Jaysen's template sounds great but the whole process sure would take a while. Seaslug makes real good points, which was the basis for my original "hell just screw it down" comment. A combo with screws and one toggle bolt in each foot sounds good too, but Jacques, if you see this, it seems to me that with the foam up tight against the underside of the doubler, the toggles would be a pita. I guess in hindsight I could have left a void of a couple of inches underneath the doubler. Oh yeah, and what about 4200 instead of silicon?

Dougster

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:45 pm

I vote wood screws and removable adhesive. Much better than the nightmare I mentioned.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Dougster you want to use 5200. 4200 is not strong enough. Cracker Larry had a neat method of putting his bolts for his t-top down take a look and see if you can find it. It involved epoxy and putting the nuts for the t-top below the deck.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978