A very unusual request....

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

A very unusual request....

Post by Q » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:08 am

First off, I'm not much for forums anymore.... far too busy.

I never realized retirement would keep me so busy! The house, the boats, and life in general. I love it.

That said, I finished the second D5 I was building. Sailing version. My darn dog wouldn't stay in the boat. Methinks he doesn't like the way it moves in the water. Or perhaps, he just prefers to be in the water.... he IS a Lab. I recently acquired a restored 1958 Boston Whaler 13. Perhaps he'll like that better. I also have an offshore boat. I don't need three boats! The D5 is just sitting there. So, I put her up for sale on Craigslist yesterday....

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/boa/6059366064.html

Now on to the unusual request....

My first and only response was from someone claiming to be Jacques. Yeah. Right. We all know the internet, and how sometimes things are not what they seem.... I just find it hard to believe Jacques would be interested in anything that would come from my two hands... 8O
He said he sold eBoat a year ago and retired. He also said he wanted the D5 as a dinghy for his trawler....

Any of this true?

I now know without a doubt or hesitation why the chicken crossed the road.....

....it was to show the armadillo it could be done.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: A very unusual request....

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:08 pm

This is funny but yes, it is me.

I am retired right now and bought a small trawler, in addition to a GF16, a FS12 and a classic Uffa Fox sailboat, I have 4 boats now.
And I forgot the Jetabout 18 that is in Joel's garage, that's 5.
My wife puts a limit at 5 boats and fortunately, 2 kayaks are not included.

I use the trawler for short cruises and plan longer cruises later. I need a dinghy, one that would fit on the swim platform. I had a PK78 but gave it away a few years ago. I was thinking of a PK78, D5 or GV10 built very light but if I find a completed one, I"ll buy it. I built many boats in my life but want to spend more time using them, not necessarily building.
While looking for a small outboard (2 HP), I saw your D5 on Craigslist and emailed to ask if it was built light. You already replied and said no.

I may have to build a very light GV10, foam sandwich. I think I can keep her around 65 lbs.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and if somebody wants a nice deal on a finished D5, your looks great and is priced right.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:16 pm

Well congratulations Jacques! I also retired two months ago and know the feeling :D Hope you make the Port Aransas, Texas boat festival this Oct. in your trawler or whatever.

Got no rockin' chair Dougster

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Yes, I want to go to the Port Aransas meeting and maybe more.
When I say retired, it means that I put the business in the hands of Jeff, a better businessman than I and very customer oriented.
I am often present in the business office and will always keep supporting my designs through the forum.
I still work as a designer but at a leisurely speed.
I have a bunch of small design jobs to complete but after that I will be able to handle new designs. One nice one based on a request from a Texas builder is progressing.

But retirement it should be and I plan to cruise again, something I could not do while managing Eboat Inc.

See you in Port Aransas unless there is again a hurricane that week.

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:30 am

First Jacques, please accept my apology for my initial disbelief....

The first boat I built and subsequently sold ten years ago was heavy...

This one was built with the weight being the first consideration, as I am now in my 60's and a disability hinders me. This D5 I built with Luan and 3/8 ply for the frames. The glass I used was the very light cloth from eBoat that goes clear when laminated. I'll go to the website and get the weight, but I'm sure you would know which I'm talking about. Edit: Methinks the cloth was the 3.25 oz.

I can plan with you to bring her down to Vero at eBoat some day this week if you wish... Vero is only an hour South. So, you say you're not interested in the sail version? I wouldn't need to load any of that? What about the oars? They are somewhat large and cumbersome... The Evinrude 2 HP? It's a 1988. It doesn't have reverse, and it's always in gear by design. I'll try to get a guestimate on the boats weight today and repost...

My craftsmanship does not measure up to any of the other builders here... I'm afraid.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 am

Congrats on retirement, Jacques, but I'm sure the community will miss you. Glad to see you'll be checking in. Have a great time and enjoy the thought of having greatly enhanced the lives of many people, including, of course, that of the present writer.
Tony

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:35 am

terrulian wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 am
Congrats on retirement, Jacques, but I'm sure the community will miss you. Glad to see you'll be checking in. Have a great time and enjoy the thought of having greatly enhanced the lives of many people, including, of course, that of the present writer.

I plan to stay on the forum and reply to questions as much as possible, no plans to disappear. Even when cruising or travelling in my RV, I will stop at places with Wifi and be active on the forum. It's only semi-retirement.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am

Q wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:30 am
First Jacques, please accept my apology for my initial disbelief....
No need to apologize, it was aq funny exchange. There are many scams on Craigslist, one must be prudent.

This one was built with the weight being the first consideration, as I am now in my 60's and a disability hinders me. This D5 I built with Luan and 3/8 ply for the frames. The glass I used was the very light cloth from eBoat that goes clear when laminated. I'll go to the website and get the weight, but I'm sure you would know which I'm talking about. Edit: Methinks the cloth was the 3.25 oz.
The Lauan is a problem. 20 years ago, there was some good cheap Lauan around but what I have seen since was not great.
Let me think about it.

Q
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Q » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:00 pm

The Lauan is a problem. 20 years ago, there was some good cheap Lauan around but what I have seen since was not great.
Let me think about it.
Completely understand.... it is why I wanted to be forthcoming from the start. I doubt I would build using it again. I called around and found a public scale locally. I still have to get the Boston Whaler & her trailer weighed tomorrow, then I'll load the D5 and get her weighed. I'll advise.