Evinrude ETEC G2

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Evinrude ETEC G2

Post by Eric1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm still a long way from ordering my outboard. I was leaning toward a four stroke Yamaha until I saw these. Have any of y'all had experience with these?

Watch this:

https://youtu.be/VwVlAClS9Bg

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Evinrude ETEC G2

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:41 pm

Eric, I do not speak negative of anyone and never while on-line where the person can't respond immediately but I just do not believe these results. The next time we talk I will give you a completely different perspective!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:43 pm

Would have been nice if they had propped both engines to take into account the difference in gear ratio. I think that would need to be done to make it apples to apples. I do think Evinrude is making a good engine now. I also think they are still recovering from the black eyes they got in years past. No experience with one of them, nearest dealer is about 200 miles away.

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 pm

We had an Evinrude 225 years ago, 1995ish. It was a decent motor but a very thirsty one. It was nothing to burn 50 gallons a day on the lake. I have to admit a lot of what I'm seeing seems to good to be true.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 pm

I like how easy they are supposed to be to winterize but that is not much of an issue for you folks who can use your boat year around. For me it comes down to cost and the dealer.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:20 pm

Please don't misunderstand, I think the newer Evinrude motors are great, but these results seem odd that it was strictly supported by Evinrude with no mention of support or agreement from Yamaha!!! "Too good to be true" seems to be the appropriate position!! Jeff

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:31 pm

Do yourself a favour - get a Yammie 4 stroke!

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 am

I have seen another video by Caloundra marine in Australia. Tiller steer 4m aluminium boat, 30hp etec vs 40hp Yamaha. The Yamaha struggled to plane. A 40hp Suzuki popped the same boat out of the water. The Suz also weighed more and had more displacement than the Yammie.

I believe this. The primary advantage a two stroke still has is low down grunt. Etecs are known for their holeshot. Yamaha are known as quality reliable motors, but I have yet to see any video of one outperforming an etec in a similar video. If such a video could be made I would expect it to be made.

Having said all that, I don't know how relevant it is to me. I don't plan to run around on a 3 ton rig with an additional deadweight motor weighing down the transom anytime soon.

If you powered that rig with a single 300hp Yamaha it would pop right up and dance.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:16 am

OneWayTraffic wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 am
I have seen another video by Caloundra marine in Australia. Tiller steer 4m aluminium boat, 30hp etec vs 40hp Yamaha. The Yamaha struggled to plane. A 40hp Suzuki popped the same boat out of the water. The Suz also weighed more and had more displacement than the Yammie.

I believe this. The primary advantage a two stroke still has is low down grunt. Etecs are known for their holeshot. Yamaha are known as quality reliable motors, but I have yet to see any video of one outperforming an etec in a similar video. If such a video could be made I would expect it to be made.

Having said all that, I don't know how relevant it is to me. I don't plan to run around on a 3 ton rig with an additional deadweight motor weighing down the transom anytime soon.

If you powered that rig with a single 300hp Yamaha it would pop right up and dance.
Well I don't believe this!

I have a 40hp 4 stroke Yamaha on my "heavy" 4M tinnie. Heavy because it has front and rear casting decks and carries 3x batteries - a start battery, a house battery and a trolling motor battery. With three POB and a large esky of ice and drinks and 36L of fuel it comes straight up onto the plane and tops out around 23kts. With two up you can pull a waterskier. With four up it still gets onto the plane - but it takes a while.

And of course I would be happy to line my 250 Hp Yammie Vmax SHO up against a similar hp etec anytime!

PS: The only person I know who has had an etec and would buy another one is a local guide who gets them cheap and changes them regularly!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 am

The best motor, if buying new, is the one you can get serviced locally by a dealer that is competent and fair. Eventually you will need service and the dealer experience will be the most critical component of your long term ownership experience being positive or not.

Buying used or with no warranty then price and ease of do it yourself maintenance takes precedence.

Seems like all the big brands have quality products, just depends on your preference or these other issues what will make you happiest.