IRMA

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: IRMA

Post by glossieblack » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 am

Has anybody heard if topwater and his boat are ok?

Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Aripeka Angler » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:30 am

glossieblack wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:00 am
Has anybody heard if topwater and his boat are ok?
Michael, I will give him a call a little later in the day to check on him.
We also have my friend Wadestep down there. Will check and post their status.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe
Currently building...PY12 Kayak and FS18 "Bare Bones"
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:58 am

The Alafia river crested at 22.79 feet, 4th highest since they have been measuring. Stayed out of the house, but almost all the 5 acre property is river now. Power won't be restored till this weekend at least as there's a line down to the house and they won't be able to get a crew in till the river recedes below 15'.
Huge oak fell next to the house, ripping up the pool deck and smashing an outdoor kitchen I built years ago. By the time I got back Monday it was under water so I don't have a good idea of what I'm facing for repair and clean-up. Another big oak smashed my we'll house, but looks like the equipment is unscathed.

We are camping in the barn which is high and dry. Can't post pics from my phone.

Could have been so much worse!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:03 am

Cape man, how did Hermine fare?
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:22 am

We rode around a bit Monday afternoon, and there was so much tree damage and debris. Fortunately, we only noticed a couple of homes with damage. A friend of mine who lives in a mobile home in the Ocala area had the better sense to stay with his ex-wife (in her large brick house that he bought her) the night of the storm, though he wondered if the hurricane wouldn't have been easier to deal with :lol: He had a tree fall on the back corner of his home so he probably made the right decision. Power was never lost at my office in town, and many folks we know only lost power for about 24 hours or less. My parents, grandparents, and other family are still without power, but if you knew the remoteness in which they lived, you'd understand.

I returned to work yesterday and my crews are resuming today. Not sure what we'll be able to accomplish over the course of the week. Some of the facilities we work at are dealing with major problems, so they're not in any hurry to resume our projects. Southbound traffic is ridiculous (opposite of the evacuation traffic direction) and gas station lines are just as bad as they were last week. Some freight companies are postponing deliveries of non-essential items into FL right now, and its been that way since last week.

We certainly fared very well up here. The Santa Fe River is going to crest on Thursday/Friday and its expected to exceed the record levels in some areas. The worst is yet to come for a lot of people close to that river.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Larry B
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Larry B » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 am

Really appreciate you guys taking to time to post up the info on Irma. Glad everyone fared pretty good with minimal damage and no one got hurt.
I went to Florida during Hurricane Andrew to help and couldn't believe the damage a hurricane could do. I had seen the pictures on TV and thought that it was bad, but when you see first hand of the devastation it's so much worse. Pictures and Video can't capture the true picture of a Hurricane.
Larry B
Completed: FL14, OD18

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am

Larry B wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 am
Pictures and Video can't capture the true picture of a Hurricane.
And neither can the weather channel. I particularly enjoyed watching a part of the broadcast where the "reporter" was standing on the beach in a rainsuit while holding a rope tether as if he was in danger of getting blown away. Meanwhile, folks were jumping and playing in the background. Classic over-dramatization!
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:16 am

Good on all of you guys for prudent planning and perseverance! It looks like, so far, there are no reports of injuries to you and yours during this drubbing.
I thought you'd be interested in this view from NOAA. If you zoom in on the line over the Keys, it shows amazingly clear images and people are actually able to determine whether their boats have survived. I don't know if there are similar images for other parts of the state; so far I haven't found them.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/irma/index.html
Tony

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 am

Really cool images. Check out the boats tied in the mangroves around Islamorada.

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 am

Hermine is snug and dry in the barn breezeway. Clara is sitting inside the fence at work.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman