two free wood masts

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Michaelz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

two free wood masts

Post by Michaelz » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:40 am

Just replaced the main and mizzen masts on my Cat Ketch 17 because the masts I built 5 years ago rotted out at the base (dropped them on their ends too often at the launch ramp). These are still good and serviceable for someone in need of an 18' and 19' (they were originally 19' and 21') unstayed masts. The base diameter for the shorter is about 2 3/4" and the longer about 3"; Both are 1 1/2'' at the top. They are made of long leaf yellow pine and quite serviceable. I made them by stripping the bark from trees I cut, air cured the wood, sanded and sealed. Can't beat their behavior in a blow; they bend to spill the wind and then come back to straight, and even an old man can set them in the mast partners without help. If you are in driving distance of Amelia Island, Florida and want them, send me an email to make arrangements to pick them up before I dispose of them. Reach me at mzsvcsllc@gmail.com; put the word Masts in the heading.