Square edged baton material ?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Mark O.
New Poster
New Poster

Square edged baton material ?

Post by Mark O. » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 am

I know this has prob been discussed but couldn't find in search...What is a good (non-round) baton material that has a nice consistent bend? I am imagining something like 1/2 CPVC but a flat edge seems like it would be more precise. Some wood molding seems to bend more at certain points, resulting in not as fair of a curve...maybe I just have bad molding. Maybe that fake wood molding would be more consistent. Maybe I shouldn't worry so much...lol. Thanks.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Square edged baton material ?

Post by terrulian » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:06 am

I think I used pvc. I didn't worry too much about the fact that I didn't have a precise square edge to run a pencil against because I didn't feel I needed that level of precision as long as the curve was fair.
Tony

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 am

I used a piece of plastic molding.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:56 am

BTW, Jacques recommended cutting the curves with a skill saw instead of a saber saw. I was a little skeptical but this turned out to have a good result on a gentle curve, smoother than I would have achieved with the saber saw.
Tony

bigyellowtractor
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigyellowtractor » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

I bought a new bit of square UPVC trim; about £4.50 for a 5m length. I marked a face so that I would place that to the pins on the lines, just in case it took a bend differently if faced another way.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:34 pm

Because of the odd shape of the molding, and the fact that it is probably finger jointed, it will not bend evenly. I rip a long piece of hardwood on the table saw that's approximately 3/8" square, and it always bends nicely. You want to use a piece without knots of course, doesn't really matter what type of wood you use.

Chuck H
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chuck H » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:31 pm

I found a 16' length of 3/4" quarter round made from a plastic substance that I believe is PVC at home depot. It was in the millwork aisle. Worked perfectly.

Chuck