FS14 LS, Looking for a fuel tank inboard 6-8 gals

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS14 LS, Looking for a fuel tank inboard 6-8 gals

Post by Capt UB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:21 pm

FS14 LS,
Looking for a fuel tank inboard 6-8 gals

Thanks, Bob.

I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

1970? 13' Canvas on frame canoe
2017 Bateau FS14, starting build Oct 2017.
2017 Bateau NC16, starting soon.

Reid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14 LS, Looking for a fuel tank inboard 6-8 gals

Post by Reid » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Capt UB,

A lot of our customers use Speedy Tanks and I have not heard any bad reviews. www.speedytanks.com

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Agree Speedy Tanks is great and highly recommended. However for a small tank they are expensive. You may be better off looking at Moeller underdeck tanks in that size. To be honest though a regular 6 gallon temporary carry on fuel tank fits the program of the LS well. The low free board makes it hard to place a permanent tank on board.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:41 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:37 pm
Agree Speedy Tanks is great and highly recommended. However for a small tank they are expensive. You may be better off looking at Moeller underdeck tanks in that size. To be honest though a regular 6 gallon temporary carry on fuel tank fits the program of the LS well. The low free board makes it hard to place a permanent tank on board.

Tom
Thanks Tom.
I saw a 16 skinny water flats boat with a short wide 10 gal tank, the owner did say it was expensive, but balanced the boat well. I have a few 3 and 6 gals tanks, you just don't want to hide it in a compartment! My 9.8 4s sips fuel, so a 3-5 gal aluminum below deck tank would work. Just looking at this time. Bob.
I'm always lost when building a boat, it's when the boat is in the water, I know my way.

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Reid wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:08 pm
Capt UB,

A lot of our customers use Speedy Tanks and I have not heard any bad reviews. www.speedytanks.com

Reid
Looking tonight. Just looking!! Thanks Reid.

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:25 pm

I have a 5 gallon from Speedy Tanks in my FS18 with a 20hp Merc, and it's more fuel than I'll ever need unless I plan on a multi day trip in the Everglades. They make a great tank, and will make any size and shape you want, but a 5 gallon was about $500.00. In my FS14 LS I bought a stock 5 gallon tank from Boyds Welding in Ocala for $99.00 and it fit in a forward compartment by leaving the sole out and just building a flat spot between the stringers for it to sit on. The tank isn't epoxy coated, but if you're worried about corrosion long term, just coat it yourself with primer and paint. I had a new aluminum tank made for my sailboat and just used some automotive primer and some Awlgrip paint and after 13 years in the bilge it looked as good as the day I painted it. Mike

Capt UB
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 pm

seaslug wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:25 pm
I have a 5 gallon from Speedy Tanks in my FS18 with a 20hp Merc, and it's more fuel than I'll ever need unless I plan on a multi day trip in the Everglades. They make a great tank, and will make any size and shape you want, but a 5 gallon was about $500.00. In my FS14 LS I bought a stock 5 gallon tank from Boyds Welding in Ocala for $99.00 and it fit in a forward compartment by leaving the sole out and just building a flat spot between the stringers for it to sit on. The tank isn't epoxy coated, but if you're worried about corrosion long term, just coat it yourself with primer and paint. I had a new aluminum tank made for my sailboat and just used some automotive primer and some Awlgrip paint and after 13 years in the bilge it looked as good as the day I painted it. Mike
Great to know. I'm down the street from Ocala, DeLand!
Glad to hear I'm going in the right direction. I have in the past, just sprayed clearcoat on the aluminum tanks. Will look at plans tonight.
I removed an old fiberglass (gas) fuel tank from my Iriwn, owner before me converted from gas to diesel!!! What a mess.

Thanks again for your help, I believe I downloaded your build photos!

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 pm

I also need to mention that I raised the sheer 1" and lowered the stringers 1/2" giving me a little more room for the tank, and also for rods to hang in the rod holders without dragging on the sole. If you have any questions during your build I'd be happy to help out if I can, and if you make it down to Jensen Beach for the builders meet maybe Jeff will have my boat there for you to take a look at and possibly get some ideas on layout etc. Mike

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:19 am

seaslug wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:25 pm
That is a great price for a tank. Jeff sells a tank coat product in the store just for coating tanks. https://boatbuildercentral.com/proddeta ... repoxy_gal

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.