What and where to foam

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: What and where to foam

Post by TomW1 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:25 pm

Very nice OQ should keep the bait from bumping into the corners. :D

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:17 am

I am a little slow. The next one you build post pictures as you go, please :D

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:10 am

Fuzz wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:17 am
I am a little slow. The next one you build post pictures as you go, please :D
Here is a picture of the mold (two piece of wood to form a 90 deg. inside corner) and the pipe, I thought it was 4" but looks to say 3". I put stiff plastic sheets in the corner and on the pipe to keep the foam from sticking. I then laid 3.25oz glass down in the corner and taped glass to the pipe. Mixed 20 grams each of "A" and "B" that was then poured in the center of the corner mold. Quickly clamped the pipe on top and waited about an hour. Used a metal cake icing spreader to free the foam from the corner mold. Then cut the glass off the pipe mold (pulling the tape off the glass was a bad idea! so cutting it off worked better). Leaving the glass .5" before the mold gives a nice edge to tape the corner in and seal to bait well. Mine need to be 12" long or so but made the corner about 18" and trimmed to size. Because the bottom of my bait well is angled I had to trim the bottom to match and then used a razor knife to trim the top flush. NOTE: you still have to have some sort of non stick surfaces, the foam soaked all the way through the glass and you have to make sure there is enough excessive foam to force the glass to stay smooth and fill any voids. I don't know what it will do with an 8" pipe yet.

I put the corner mold in my wood vise so it laid flat for the pour. You see in the picture I had issues with the foam coming out past the plastic. The stiff plastic is flexible cutting boards I got from the dollar store. I use them for cutting bait on top of my coolers and it doesn't leave cut marks on them.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 am

Nice work and it looks like it came out good.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:26 am

Thanks Fuzz.

Just finding time to work on the boat right now. Need 12 paddle boards for a class coming up next weekend and patching ours up. 3 of them fell off the trailer going down the freeway, one was ran over. I managed to get the tire marks off and glued a big piece back together. Epoxy paste and sanding...lots and lots of sanding!

Fish Finder
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Fish Finder » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:06 pm

This is a great thread Fuzz; I just received my first set of plans (PG-22) I'm a first-timer, not even under way, but I have a long list of options to consider before I embark on this voyage, one of which is the foam.

With a construction background, I always hated the foam in a spray can; it NEVER stops expanding! Hopefully the Bateau product is nothing similar to that spray-foam garbage. I wouldn't want the foam to expand and force the sole away from the framing.

When installing the pour foam, is it possible to schmear the uncured foam smooth using a trowel, flat spreader or something similar (schmear...it's a technical term) in order to avoid the trimming of the tops of the foam? Is there any other way to control the expansion during the curing process?

Capt UB mentioned encapsulating foam in heavy duty plastic garbage bags, or the like. This raises a few questions from me. Having no experience other than what I read here,I don't know anything about the installation procedures, but would this allow someone to smoosh-down the uncured foam (smoosh...another technical term) to somewhat hand-shape the foam and avoid cutting the tops off?

cape_fisherman is exactly right: if the boat "turns turtle" (capsizes) climb on top and get out of the water! I would rather surf the bottom of the boat than sit partially submerged in a swamped but upright vessel. Up here in the great white north, it is indeed a life-or-death situation. Don't ask how I know DOH!

What and where to foam? From only a couple months of scouring the boards, and a bit of personal experience :oops: I am of the humble opinion that foam WILL save your life. So I plan to foam beneath the sole only...no foam under the gunwales...I actually want my boat to turn upside-down. Then I can crawl up, out of the water, rather than sit in a swamped boat and shiver to death.

I am still too new to determine whether or not to foam around fuel tanks or conduits, but will keep reading...keep learning :D

I am naively of the opinion that over-foaming, trimming flush, and encapsulating the trimmed areas with epoxy is the best practice.

Thanks for allowing me to post on these forums. Now I have a new hobby...AND a room full of new friends 8)

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Fish Finder wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:06 pm
When installing the pour foam, is it possible to schmear the uncured foam smooth using a trowel, flat spreader or something similar (schmear...it's a technical term) in order to avoid the trimming of the tops of the foam? Is there any other way to control the expansion during the curing process?
In my experience you will only accomplish 2 things:
1. Very sticky messy schmearer
2. A pile of collapsed foam.

Maybe I'm just not a pro-level schmearer though.

OrangeQuest
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:10 pm

You pour, no touch or you pop all the bubbles that makes the foam, and they don't come back. You have less than 20 seconds from pouring the two parts together, mix and pour. It is easier to cap with something that it doesn't stick to and the a board and weight that down so it spreads to all areas. There are a lot of variables that determines how much it will expand. Temp, moisture, wind direction and magnetic fields around stir stick all will throw the pour off, oh and touching it.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Yes pour and do not pour around gas tanks. The plans should indicate how much you need for level flotation. You won't need to fill all of the below deck compartments unless you want to.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:19 pm

Welcome Fish Finder :D
I understand your desire to foam your boat and to be able to get out of the cold water if needed. I am just a little north of you so cold water is my norm. I do have some different thoughts on a swamped boat. I really want it to float upright. I think this gives you the best chance of staying with the boat. We all spend lots of time making the bottom nice and smooth. So how do you stay on that nice smooth, wet, and cold bottom in heavy breaking seas? Either way having the hull become your life raft is way better than watching it disappear below you :help:

Either way go ahead and build a boat when you are able. It is a ton of fun :wink: