MEMORIAL DAY

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

MEMORIAL DAY

Post by TomW1 » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Folks tomorrow is Memorial Day the day we mourn those veterans who have lost there lives in defending the freedom of our country. Please stop and take a minute to say a brief prayer for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice and to protect those that are still over seas and may still do so.

Tom

Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: MEMORIAL DAY

Post by Eric1 » Sun May 27, 2018 4:02 pm

Will Do.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun May 27, 2018 5:32 pm

Absolutely!! Jeff

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 pm

Pardon me if I've posted this before but even so this is the weekend for it. It's something I wrote for our sailing school newsletter.

If you go cruising you’ll probably want to learn the phonetic alphabet so you can spell your boat name and perhaps your HAM call sign in a way that can be understood in foreign ports. I can still quickly rattle off “kilo-golf-six-echo-uniform-delta,” sometimes involuntarily at inappropriate moments. However, even if you memorize this way of spelling things, you won’t find any “Roger” among the Mikes, Juliets, and Charlies. But this wasn’t always the case.

"Roger" is a holdover from the phonetic alphabet used by the Royal Air Force and the US Air Force prior to 1956, at which time he was replaced by "Romeo" to represent the letter “R.” In addition to changing "Roger" to "Romeo,” "Able" was replaced by "Alpha,” "Baker" was replaced by "Bravo," and “Easy” was replaced by “Echo.” There were some additional changes due to fuzzy comprehension by speakers of Texan, Bostonian, Bronxish, Liverpudlian, and other languages, until the alphabet was adopted internationally. The current phonetic alphabet with "Romeo" was adopted by the International Commission for Air Navigation in 1956, by the International Telecommunication Union in 1959, and then by the International Maritime Organization in 1965.

During WWII, the phonetic "Roger" was used to indicate R for "Received" in radio usage. Apparently no one wished to change it to "Romeo" after combat ended and the alphabet changed, with the result that what we have today is a small tribute to the Second World War. So when you say “Roger,” remember those heroes of Normandy and Okinawa, the Po Valley, and the Ardennes Forest.
Tony

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:10 am

I was at our friends who also farm our farm in Iowa today with there son and his family. His son gave one of the nicest prayers for our reminder of the soldiers lost and why we celebrate this day I have ever heard. He is a junior in HS and sounded like someone who had studied at a seminary.

I hope everyone had a wonderful day and that they also said a prayer for those that have been lost. You may have known someone or have known of someone in your town. There have been over 675,000 lost since WW2. \

Well take care and those in the path of Alberto take care also.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978