Monkey Puzzle joint for plywood

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Monkey Puzzle joint for plywood

Post by DAVE LUDICK » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:06 am

I have the plans for the GF14 which I want to start soon. I wasn't happy with the joints on my GV15 so want to make templates to rout interlocking joints in the plywood for the GF14 project. The CNC kits that are available for the OB17 shows an interesting profile for the joints. I understand that the kit is CNC cut. It would require two templates to rout if I went that route.
My question is, is this the best profile that Jaques arrived at after, I understand, was some time consuming experiments.
I am thinking one template with a profile that could be flipped to give male and female interlocking joints, also what would be the minimium clearance between the joints if any.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Monkey Puzzle joint for plywood

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:54 am

Dave, I want Jacques to respond because yes, he went through several patterns before deciding on what we now call "Puzzle Joints"!! They work & hold extremely well and makes your build easier and faster to get together!! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:17 am

I tested different shapes and different clearances.
Each thickness requires a different clearance.
Clearance means the offset between male and female parts.
5 thousands of 1" made big difference: too wide and the parts moved, too tight and you couldn't put them together.
You would need two patterns and a tool to line them up. You can't get that kind of precision with a router.

If you still want to try, use a 1/100" offset. It will be loose and not offer any benefit compared to a plain butt joint.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

DAVE LUDICK
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by DAVE LUDICK » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:00 am

Thank you Jaques, my reason for thinking a puzzle joint is to ensure a fair curve, to the sides particularly. With a butt joint I am sure you will not get a fair curve, there will be a "flat" surface at the joint, and that is what I am trying to overcome.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am

The fiberglass splices bend very well.
A loose puzzle joint will produce a kink.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com