Road trains and other hazards!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Road trains and other hazards!

Post by BarraMan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 pm

I was looking through some videos from my April fishing trip to the Northern Territory when I spotted this, and thought you might find it interesting.

What is it that they say - "Everything is bigger in Texas"? Well not in the case of tractor/trailers. What do you guys call them, "18 wheelers"?

We call them road trains, and this one has 5 x trailers and 82 wheels!

Last edited by BarraMan on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Road train

Post by Jaysen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pm

Are all the roads two lane like that? I don’t recall ever seeing an expressway (divided 4lanes or more) outside a metro area in any Aussie video.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pm
Are all the roads two lane like that? I don’t recall ever seeing an expressway (divided 4lanes or more) outside a metro area in any Aussie video.
Yup, 90% of them are just two lanes - and that is a good road because that truck is carting ore from a mine to a port. Rigs like that can be quite intimidating on narrow roads with bad shoulders.

On the single lane sealed roads like the one I have posted before, if I see a truck coming the other way I call the driver on the UHF (CB) radio and tell him(her) that they can have the road, then pull off to the side and stop. That way they stay on the seal and don't shower my car and boat in stones.

This truckie warned us that there were cattle on the road - and he was right! :lol:

My Discovery has BIG driving lights that light up the road and shoulders for about a mile ahead of the vehicle. I wouldn't go anywhere near those roads at night without them! :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Road trains and other hazards!

Post by Jaysen » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:54 am

Wow. I’m always hearing “you Americans don’t know how good your highways really are... stop yer whining!” Makes a bit more sense now.

It does appear that cows are equally ... stupid ... on with side of the world.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Road trains and other hazards!

Post by gonandkarl » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:02 am

Hi,
Quite impressive, I am sure I would not dare to drive there in the dark at all. But having heard that you towed your boat for thousands of miles made it necessary for you. Here we buy small cars with a tight turning circle for all the curves and narrow streets in the cities. I will plan my route carefully when I will first time tow my sail boat to the nearest lake because of all the corners and narrow passages. Have you got permanently a video camera switched on from the top of the trailered boat ?
Greetings from Karl ( Austria where everything is minute in comparison with Australia )
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 am

BarraMan wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:58 pm
Jaysen wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 pm

This truckie warned us that there were cattle on the road - and he was right! :lol:

Here in Texas the ranchers train the cattle so that when they are in the road you just have to roll your window down and yell" MOOOOOOOVE" and they will get off the road!
8)