Chase tubes, any tricks?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
OrangeQuest

Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 am

I have been looking at chase tubes for my build and looks easy enough. Not sure how big, 3-3/14 triplex wires with outer sleeve, of a inside diameter conduit would be needed but looks like 3/4" would be more than enough. Running 3/8" fuel line without fitting looks like it could go into a 1/2" easy enough with a little soapy water. It's the main power wire, engine harness and the triplex one I'm not to sure about,1.5" or 2" ? When I would run wiring for turn signals switches I would take all the pins out of the connector, tape them up and push them through the steering column. I quick drawing of where the wires go back is easy enough for me.

For my build I am thinking of terminating the pipe with threaded ends so they will be attached to the frame/stringer the have to go through and the pipes then foamed up. Does any one taper where the ends mate so that no snags? I have a wire tape I use regularly that will make pulling wire through easier but is that all I need? Anything else I need to know before I buy and start drilling out the holes. Oh, assume I know nothing about how to do this so advice would be gratefully received!

OQ

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 am

You can use irrigation PVC pipe.
Thin wall, more room inside dia.
Any fittings will be a bitch later if you don't oversize now.....
thumb_71.jpg
thumb_71.jpg (3.65 KiB) Viewed 188 times

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:40 am

I'd test it first. 1/2" for a 3/8" fuel line sounds tight to me, but I haven't done it. I think I'd get 10' of it with a bend at each end and try it.

Dougster

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:50 am

Dougster wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:40 am
I'd test it first. 1/2" for a 3/8" fuel line sounds tight to me, but I haven't done it. I think I'd get 10' of it with a bend at each end and try it.

Dougster
I measure the OD on my hose I have now for the 5hp, 3/8" ID, and it is close to 5/8" OD. Checked a piece of 1/2" PVC I have and it is to small as you advised. Thanks Dougster!!

capt. UB I was wanting to use thin wall but can't find any. Before I buy pipe I am getting the Triplex and duplex wire and then I will know for sure what size for the pumps' chase tubes. Only reason I can think of replacing wire later on would be salt water got in the wire and ate it up. I started sealing my wires up at all connections where that doesn't happen for me anymore. It takes a few days for it all to dry but worth the effort to not have to chase wiring issues a few months later. Learned a few tricks taking my kayak into rough seas with electronics and expecting them to still work afterwards.

silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by silentneko » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am

1/2" is way to small for 3/8" fuel line. Especially if it needs to make any curves. I'd go with 1". Straight runs are easy, but any area that needs to curve becomes huge choke points.

As far as wiring goes, any that goes in a boat should be tinned and heat shrunk. I use heat shrink connectors (cheap from harbor frieght, same product that west marine uses) and then a piece of heat shrink tubing over that, no waiting and no chance for leaks.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:04 pm

silentneko wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am
1/2" is way to small for 3/8" fuel line. Especially if it needs to make any curves. I'd go with 1". Straight runs are easy, but any area that needs to curve becomes huge choke points.

As far as wiring goes, any that goes in a boat should be tinned and heat shrunk. I use heat shrink connectors (cheap from harbor frieght, same product that west marine uses) and then a piece of heat shrink tubing over that, no waiting and no chance for leaks.

If you can find the heat shrink with the glue inside, much better. Harbor Freight does sell it. Like Silentneko said, use good wire that is tinned. As for the irrigation PVC, Lowes sell it here, we use it to keep our green grass lawns Green... Don't you guys in Texas just a sand and cactus.. :wink:

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm

Here at work we have used a heat gun to heat up the PVC to bend it.

I can't find the stuff I bought from Lowes online, I'll check tonight when I pickup some lumber. It is Schedule 30, low pressure pipe.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm

silentneko wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am

I was going to buy Duplex and triplex wire, marine grade. After all connectors are finished I paint them with liquid tape to seal where the wire is crimped. Then when they are bolted or plugged in I paint them again to make sure there is no bare metal. Good to know about Harbor Freight connectors.
I was thinking of using the grey electrical conduit pipe that you can get the slow 90 degree turns for. They will go down the center for about 5 feet and then turn to exit out the starboard stringer.

Capt. UB if you can find the pipe that would be great.....I have a heat gun that works really well.

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Capt UB » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 pm

OQ

"After all connectors are finished I paint them with liquid tape"

See if you can find the liquid tape in CLEAR! Same stuff, but you will be able to see corrosion problems....

Star Brite® 84108 - Clear Liquid Electrical Tape, 4 oz
84108.jpg

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:48 pm

Chase tubes should all be as large as you can possibly fit in the boat where they are going. Minimum 1" for fuel lines. I have one 1 1/4" chase back to the bilge that carries too much, and pulling everything through was extremely frustrating. Could have easily ran 1 1/2" or even a 2". I did use 3/4" flexible plastic conduit for individual runs like running lights, radio antenna cable, and deck lights. Sweep elbows as opposed to streets.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman