Chase tubes, any tricks?

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
silentneko
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: Lakeland

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by silentneko » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 am
Once all the wires and hose are run do you guys seal or cap the ends of the chase tubes to make sure there is no water getting in and if so how?
No, if any water gets in you want it to find a way out. I will drill a small hole or 2 in the side of the pipe facing down if my sweeps face up.


Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe.....FS17 coming soon!

OrangeQuest

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 pm

silentneko wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:17 pm
OrangeQuest wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 am
Once all the wires and hose are run do you guys seal or cap the ends of the chase tubes to make sure there is no water getting in and if so how?
No, if any water gets in you want it to find a way out. I will drill a small hole or 2 in the side of the pipe facing down if my sweeps face up.
Where they come out from under the tank wells they will be very slightly angled upward. Where the turn will be at will be the perfect spot for a drain hole. Thanks!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm
Location: Bryson City, NC

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by TomW1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Always electrical weep 90's vs plumbing 90's they are a gentler sweep for fittings to go through.

It is best to fill the ends of the tubes I wouldn't drill holes in the them in case the compartment flooded. You need to seal it with something that can be removed so it you need to remove the cable or wiring you can.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:21 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 pm
Always electrical weep 90's vs plumbing 90's they are a gentler sweep for fittings to go through.

It is best to fill the ends of the tubes I wouldn't drill holes in the them in case the compartment flooded. You need to seal it with something that can be removed so it you need to remove the cable or wiring you can.

Tom
Yes on the electrical 90's.
I have another concern I though of last night, the chase tube for the pumps, Two will be in the very back but one will be in a compartment closer to midship. I was going to use an 8" inspection plate to access the pump and the wiring. If I use the same chase tube how do I have that one triplex out of the tube? Single smaller tube for it?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm
Location: Bryson City, NC

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by TomW1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:43 pm

I am not quite sure I understand you a single pump in the bilge in front of the motor should be fine. I have a 1500 psi there. The center pump should be plumed to above the deck overboard. I am still not sure why you are putting the putting the pump in the center you are the first builder that has done so. Well build on. And keep us informed of how things are going.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:31 am

TomW1 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:43 pm
I am not quite sure I understand you a single pump in the bilge in front of the motor should be fine. I have a 1500 psi there. The center pump should be plumed to above the deck overboard. I am still not sure why you are putting the putting the pump in the center you are the first builder that has done so. Well build on. And keep us informed of how things are going.

Tom
3186


I have been in conditions like this, not the boat but the water, in small boats with no problems. If your 1500GPH doesn't work what else you got? 5 gallon bucket like this guy? Why do sailors carry more than one anchor? On my build I will not have access to the bilge when the boat is on the water. Only a 8" inspection plate for service. Almost 24" from the transom and the sole meets the aft bench frame. The depth of the bottom of the boat to the sole is almost 4". Add the width of the transom and the boat can take on more than 20 gallons of water before it would start showing up at the back of the sole. If everything works out in my favor water only comes in through landing on the sole. Most of it will be pumped out before reaching the transom. If I use the larger compartment under the rear of the sole as the primary bilge there is more area for water to be collected before it is removed. It can still be removed at rest and trimmed level where the water will drain off the sole but not to the transom area. The drain from the bow area will be angled downward at a slight pitch in hopes of draining the water to the primary bilge.

I am not on the water on perfect days where the water is always calm and no wind or rain. Sometimes I am in rough conditions and I PLAN on them even if I am not.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:57 pm
Location: Bryson City, NC

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by TomW1 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 pm

A quick change makes the bait pump a bilge pump to pump water overboard as a backup at a 1000gph. I would never go with out a back up bilge pump.
Last edited by TomW1 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Capt UB
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster
Posts: 1358
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by Capt UB » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:47 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 pm
A quick change makes the bait pump a bilge pump to pump water overboard as a backup at a 1000gph. I would never like you go with out a back up bilge pump.

I never leave the dock without my elephant pump......
2018-06-23-14-45-22--903602527.jpg
2018-06-23-14-45-22--903602527.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 119 times

User avatar
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
Posts: 1200
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:44 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by BarraMan » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:10 pm

TomW1 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 pm
A quick change makes the bait pump a bilge pump to pump water overboard as a backup at a 1000gph. I would never go with out a back up bilge pump.
Indeed!

I have 3x bilge pumps - two 2000 GPH pumps on a little ledge in the bilge with manual and auto switches, and. 500 GPH pump with a manual switch located right at the bottom of the “V” in the bilge so I can pump near to “dry”.

I stopped short of making the cockpit self draining but have large drains in the floor on either side that drain into the bilge.

My boat spends 90+% of its time in sheltered water, but if I did much fishing off-shore I would probably fit a manual pump as well - just in case!

But that’s just me!

OrangeQuest

Re: Chase tubes, any tricks?

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:08 am

BarraMan wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:10 pm
TomW1 wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:42 pm
A quick change makes the bait pump a bilge pump to pump water overboard as a backup at a 1000gph. I would never go with out a back up bilge pump.
Indeed!

I have 3x bilge pumps - two 2000 GPH pumps on a little ledge in the bilge with manual and auto switches, and. 500 GPH pump with a manual switch located right at the bottom of the “V” in the bilge so I can pump near to “dry”.

I stopped short of making the cockpit self draining but have large drains in the floor on either side that drain into the bilge.

My boat spends 90+% of its time in sheltered water, but if I did much fishing off-shore I would probably fit a manual pump as well - just in case!

But that’s just me!
For a boat spending 90% in sheltered water that sure sounds like a lot of "just in case" gear. But I would imagine BarraMan, your years on the water have taught you to always be ready for the other 10%. I'm sure the same hold true for you also Tom, Capt. UB.

One early spring my brother and I were in our boats out for a long cruise to just enjoy a cool sunny day. Mine being a larger stern drive with a very sharp vee hull made for rough waters. His a smaller fishing/pleasure boat. On the return leg of our cruise we came across a tug that was without a load but was in a very big hurry. As we approached him I could see the water boiling off his bow and then the very large wake behind him. I throttled back a little, changed my angle and barely noticed the waves. But looked back at the smaller boat and she had just enough speed to go nose down into the second wave. Most of his boat disappeared into the wave. I made a fast U-turn and as a pulled up along side him he still had 6" of water draining from his cockpit into two small deck drains, shallow hull didn't hold much water. Broke off his plexiglass wind screen and the 3 people onboard were soaked from head to toe. They all came on board my boat as he stayed waiting for the boat to drain enough to get back on plane. I had to buy 3 emergency blankets that day to replace the ones I had to use, lucky I pack 4. Never know when we make mistakes or nature strikes.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest