Avoid obstacles to progress

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Avoid obstacles to progress

Post by narfi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:03 pm

Some of you know I have a strong interest in Aviation and boats aren't the only thing I dream of building.
I downloaded a set of free plans last night to look through. ($7000 of materials to make an entire plane minus engine, cheaper if you scrounge your wood instead of buying the kit)
https://www.teammini-max.com/

Point 4 in the intro to the instruction manual seemed worth sharing.

4. Avoid obstacles to progress.

One of the major roadblocks of any shop project is the objection by family members that domestic obligations and relations are neglected for the project. This is an internal matter and beyond the scope of this document, but is still a major item for consideration.

Other than the family situation, there are three major human causes of wasted time in construction projects.

The first is the eager friend who is anxious to be helpful but doesn't know anything about building airplanes or even handling tools. By the time you show him how, check his work, and usually do it over, you could have done it several times yourself in addition to the job you are working on. The exact and highly desirable opposite to this type, and unfortunately very rare, is the experienced person that can be handed a job and be forgotten for a while as he gets the job done with no fuss.

The second time killer, more often plural than singular, is the curious and friendly type who comes around from time to time to see how you're doing, and brings a friend along who has to have the whole project explained in detail from the beginning. No work can be done or qualified to help. A sub-category of this type is the one with whom a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and who is always trying to improve your design to death by suggesting all sorts of things -- from little refinements to major rearrangements -- that will be made with your time, money, and materials. One unforeseen by-product of both categories is the added expense to the overall job resulting from the amount of your groceries, beer, coffee, etc. that they consume while sitting around keeping you from working.

The third major theft of your working time is yourself. As the plane begins to go together, it is entirely too easy to gaze dreamily at it by the hour admiring your own handiwork and engaging in all sorts of flights of fantasy while sitting in the cockpit of an unfinished fuselage perched on a couple of sawhorses. Even if you don't feel particularly ambitious when you go out to the shop, or time is short, try to make some tangible progress. Don't goof off for the whole work period by kidding yourself with the thought that you will really bear down tomorrow, or next week. Overdoing the improvements can often be a problem, although in some cases it stems from improved skills as the job progresses. There may be a big difference between the first rib build and the last so that it may be desirable to scrap the first few and do them over. Your own standards and cost considerations will be your only guide here.
This section seemed like it was written directly to me and my experiences so far with both the canoe and my progress so far with the FS17.
The only thing I would add for myself is that for me the journey is as fun as the destination, so while this is critical if you are pushing for a finished boat or plane, it is less important if you are just enjoying the time building something and sharing that experience with friends or your children.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Avoid obstacles to progress

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 pm

I was happy that he didn't add people stop work and check the forum for updates! Whew! :roll:

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:48 pm

OrangeQuest wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 pm
I was happy that he didn't add people stop work and check the forum for updates! Whew! :roll:
From the condition of the scanned plans, my assumption is that was not a concern at the time it was written........
It could very easily fall under " engaging in all sorts of flights of fantasy" in his third major theft of working time.

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:37 pm

Jacques should include similar advice in all the builders' notes...
The first is the eager friend who is anxious to be helpful but doesn't know anything about building BOATS or even handling tools. By the time you show him how, check his work, and usually do it over, you could have done it several times yourself in addition to the job you are working on. The exact and highly desirable opposite to this type, and unfortunately very rare, is the experienced person that can be handed a job and be forgotten for a while as he gets the job done with no fuss. Like the time my buddy helped me mix epoxy while I spread out the glass on the sole, only to discover the next morning he was handing me 2 parts slow hardner mixed with 1 part medium hardner...or the time the same friend was helping me sand the sides of the boat after primer was applied, me on the starboard side, him on the port. After I was finished and he was still working back about two feet from the bow, I went around to see what was taking him so long, and he had sanded down to the glass in several places.

The second time killer, more often plural than singular, is the curious and friendly type who comes around from time to time to see how you're doing, and brings a friend along who has to have the whole project explained in detail from the beginning. No work can be done or qualified to help. A sub-category of this type is the one with whom a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and who is always trying to improve your design to death by suggesting all sorts of things -- from little refinements to major rearrangements -- that will be made with your time, money, and materials.Same friend. "Hey, have you seen how the finish is messed up over here, about 2 feet back from the bow on the port side?" One unforeseen by-product of both categories is the added expense to the overall job resulting from the amount of your groceries, beer, coffee, etc. that they consume while sitting around keeping you from working.

The third major theft of your working time is yourself. As the BOAT begins to go together, it is entirely too easy to gaze dreamily at it by the hour admiring your own handiwork and engaging in all sorts of flights of fantasy while sitting AT THE HELM of an unfinished HULL perched on a couple of sawhorses. Even if you don't feel particularly ambitious when you go out to the shop, or time is short, try to make some tangible progress. Don't goof off for the whole work period by kidding yourself with the thought that you will really bear down tomorrow, or next week. Overdoing the improvements can often be a problem, although in some cases it stems from improved skills as the job progresses. There may be a big difference between the first rib build and the last so that it may be desirable to scrap the first few and do them over. Your own standards and cost considerations will be your only guide here.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:06 pm

I never had any problem with the first two time killers, as I avoid having friends and everyone seems to benefit from that arrangement.

As to the third, I was in no rush but on the other hand, daydreaming is as important as sanding. I spent a decade daydreaming before casting off the lines for the South Pacific and beyond, and even if I had wanted to, I couldn't have stopped myself. You can also daydream while you're sanding, though, so multi-tasking is the key. :D
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Let me get this straight...
Daydream + sanding = ok
Rum consumption + sanding = more fairing

I see where I may have gone wrong...

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:40 pm

8O
Jaysen wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm
Let me get this straight...
Daydream + sanding = ok
Rum consumption + sanding = more fairing

I see where I may have gone wrong...
8O

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:20 pm

No no no! Ya got it all ass backwards!

fairing = Rum consumption

Life gets in the way. A lot!!! The larger the project the more distractions I believe. Maybe even exponentially so. :doh:
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:15 am

The wasted time advice sounds like no fun. If I take two years to build the boat instead of one, then I had twice as much fun.

Slow lane Dougster

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:46 am

If you keep planning the obstacles disappear.

The other day I bought all the stuff and organized vendors to help with beam hardware.

Today, I am doing some mundane prefairing to get to that next step.

Mundane must get done.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495