Avoid obstacles to progress

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Avoid obstacles to progress

Post by Jaysen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:05 am

I might suggest there’s a bit of “criticality disparity” between an airship and a ... ship-ship.

If I screw around and cut crap out of the design in the v12, the worst that happens is I get wet and lose some $$. Do that on a plane and many lives are endangered (debris falling from the sky lands somewhere...). So having a useless relative disassembling your woven fabric while you are measuring it because “it looks soft” is a lot more of an issue when it’s not a boat.

That’s my take. I also think dock pilings are just there to make the ride more like bumper cars so I could be wrong...

johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johnstonjosh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks for the share! Yeah my helper was experienced but cost me alot more by adding in more layers of glass on the transom (5 layers of 1708 were used!) didnt want that at all. He knew better than the plans and i spent countless hours over the course of the build trying to keep him on task and not get creative. He wanted a 50hp on the boat (FS18) and said I should add raised oar locks and a 4 inch deep keel, and possibly a mast. Toward the end he wanted to not put the deck on and just have the sole go from the bow to stern. I could have been done a month earlier (not exaggerating) if he had just followed the plans

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:55 pm

1) Eager friend: Ban them! I built 95% of my boat solo. If there were to be any stuff-ups they were going to be mine. I figured if I did it my way then I had nobody to blame if it didn't work out. Was easy to enforce - cause I don't have any friends! :lol:

The only exception was for glassing big runs of cloth and for painting, when a well trained and meticulous wife was a great asset for chasing airbubbles in wetted-out glass and for the "tipping" part of "roll and tip"!

Curious types: This is a burden we bear for building such cool boats. The whole neighbourhood followed my build as throughout its construction the boat was often outside the garage. You need to share the love - but try not to give up too much time.

Daydreaming: This is NOT a waste of time, but rather, a key part of the building process. I spent 3x the time thinking and daydreaming about my build as acually doing it! As a result, there is little that I would do differently!

Last edited by BarraMan on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:59 am

All good points by BarraMan.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:58 am

BarraMan, I hope a large number of our members and readers will review your prior comments/guidance!! Good stuff!! Jeff

Chenier
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chenier » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:20 am

Last weekend I visited the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. They have a Weekend Apprentice program in their boatbuilding shop. It caught my attention as they were carving spars for an Oughtred Acorn - about the same size as I'm contemplating for my Moonfish. During their break I asked the boatbuilder managing the project how long it took to turn out one spar? She replied: "If I didn't have these guys helping me, I could knock one out in a day." :)

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:17 am

Hope one day you are able to build your airplane. And when you do, post pics.

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:26 pm

That minimax is a cute little thing. Wayne Ison, the designer, also drew up plans for a really cute little race boat that used 2 go kart engines. And tons of go kart racing stuff. Really clever guy.

I'd totally dig building a HiMax, but can't see actually completing it before I'm too old to fly.

Have you checked out the lonesome buzzards forum?

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Fred in Wisc wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:26 pm
That minimax is a cute little thing. Wayne Ison, the designer, also drew up plans for a really cute little race boat that used 2 go kart engines. And tons of go kart racing stuff. Really clever guy.

I'd totally dig building a HiMax, but can't see actually completing it before I'm too old to fly.

Have you checked out the lonesome buzzards forum?
I have been reading their forum, yes.
They are nearly finished with a prototype 2 place version of the himax using laser cut pieces and a claimed build time of 250hrs. (but with a more expensive kit)

I had pretty much decided to build the Zenith 750stol, but I have enjoyed working with wood, and I think Landon could be more involved with a wood build than aluminum.

As far as wooden aircraft, the Dakota Hawk is pretty interesting as well,
https://fisherflying.com/dakota-hawk/

Of course if price was no object.......
The Gweduck is a sexy looking family hauler.
http://www.gweduck.com/index.html

There is a guy working on a prototype of a 2 seat version of this very attractive Russian amphibian,
http://www.seabearaircraft.com/gallery/

K2FS18
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by K2FS18 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:59 pm

That is spot on. I had so much epoxy set up while someone driving by would stop to check it out. Did not mind too much, thought it was cool the whole area was interested in what was being built.

K2