Avoid obstacles to progress

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Avoid obstacles to progress

Post by Fred in Wisc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am

I've often thought that a stitch and glue plane might make a lot of sense. Or at least parts of it. Could be foam core, and the cloth wouldn't have to be as thick as a boat since it wouldn't need the impact and puncture resistance. Kind of a modern version of sawing out all the plywood ribs on a Volksplane.

Seems like it would go together a whole lot faster than all that fiddling around with a thousand little sticks.

Looks like it wouldn't be all that hard to mill up the parts for the Minimax if you can get some nice Sitka or Douglas fir locally. And the cost savings would pay for a real nice table saw, planer, and a good portion of the engine probably.

I'd lean towards a wood plane, if I was building, too. Mostly since I'm a better glue-er than welder.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:10 am

Fred in Wisc wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:16 am
I've often thought that a stitch and glue plane might make a lot of sense. Or at least parts of it.
Then you should check out how they make the "Personal Cruiser".
http://pro-composites.com/index.html

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 pm

That's neat, kinda like the old Starlite performance wise. Sounds similar to S&G but dang that kit is expensive.

If I ever build a plane it's going to be at least a 2 seater. I can't see doing that kind of build more than once.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Fred in Wisc wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:59 pm
That's neat, kinda like the old Starlite performance wise. Sounds similar to S&G but dang that kit is expensive.

If I ever build a plane it's going to be at least a 2 seater. I can't see doing that kind of build more than once.
http://pro-composites.com/Vision/Vision ... st%20A.xls

$10k + engine for a brand new sleek fast composite 2 place plane isnt bad.......... Its the man hours that will get you :)

Our first build will be a small, slow 2 seater with the smallest engine possible to keep operating cost down. Second build will be built for speed and mommas comfort with 4 full sized american adult seats.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:01 pm

Nice Narfi!! Please include your build of the plane here on the Forum!!! It will be great to watch!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Jeff wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:01 pm
Nice Narfi!! Please include your build of the plane here on the Forum!!! It will be great to watch!! Jeff
Will do!
Need to narrow down which one first, and finish the FS17 though :)

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Yep, fully understand!! Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:20 pm

What size engine did the wright brothers use? Today’s lawnmowers have bigger motors.

;)

Fred in Wisc
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fred in Wisc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:07 pm

I'd agree the 2 place is a pretty good price, but wasn't it like 2500 hours to complete? A boat that says 100-200 hours can take me a couple years easy....

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:28 pm

from their website FAQ wrote: The hours quoted seem kind of long. Is that really right?

The 3000 - 3500 hours quoted for the Vision construction are realistic and based on observation of first time builders making every part. Keep in mind this is a conservative TOTAL estimate including engine, instrument, upholstery, and paint. Most home built companies mislead when they only list airframe assembly time which, in the case of the Vision, is only about 1200- 1500 hours. Certainly some pre-fabricated parts will make the construction go faster. Take a look at the segment in Sport Aviation Magazine entitled "What our members are building" and notice how many of the planes run well over their manufacturers quoted times. We would rather be straight than have you be disappointed. We have an active builders mail list (sorry, it is closed except to Vision manual holders to keep the focus) and our very innovative customers are always coming up with ways that will prove to be great time savers.
I think in any of the kits or plans I have seen advertised from any company, there are things to read between the lines....... Build time is one of them, cost of bits and pieces along the way is another.
For instance, I am very leery of the 300-500 time quoted by minimax, even as simple as their builds are.