Portable Galley ideas

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Portable Galley ideas

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm

The BWCA is 5 hours from my house.

Cooking is done either over a wood fire or a small stove kit atop the cooler. I usually haul a coleman propane cooktop and a 1# can. But they can freezeup in colder weather.

The cooler is sort of the staple. You can keep the water and the bears and critters out.

Washing dishes is done in the lake, but I heat water for the real greasy messes, and, of course; freshwater.

I keep all the camp stuff in a duffel bag.

The other staple for me is a thermos. If it cold; hot drink is the best or vice versa.

We use a water purifier and one liter nalgene bottles to make our drinking water.

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:42 am

terrulian wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:38 am
Bogie,
Portable butane stoves are great and you can put them in a drawer. I have one on my Catalina 22 and it tucks away easily and burns really hot. Sorry, no photo of mine but they look like this:

They are not top-heavy like single burner campstoves. On a boat, top-heavy is not good. 8O
Just wanted to second Tony on this kind of stove. I have never found anything that worked better on a boat. I like butane better if it will be used in any sort of enclosed space. Butane it lighter than air so it will rise up and out of enclosed spaces. Propane is heavier than air and can cause problems.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:22 am

fallguy1000 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:35 pm
The BWCA is 5 hours from my house.

Cooking is done either over a wood fire or a small stove kit atop the cooler. I usually haul a coleman propane cooktop and a 1# can. But they can freezeup in colder weather.

The cooler is sort of the staple. You can keep the water and the bears and critters out.

Washing dishes is done in the lake, but I heat water for the real greasy messes, and, of course; freshwater.

I keep all the camp stuff in a duffel bag.

The other staple for me is a thermos. If it cold; hot drink is the best or vice versa.

We use a water purifier and one liter nalgene bottles to make our drinking water.
Thank you!

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:22 am

Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:42 am
terrulian wrote:
Bogie,
Portable butane stoves are great and you can put them in a drawer. I have one on my Catalina 22 and it tucks away easily and burns really hot. Sorry, no photo of mine but they look like this:

They are not top-heavy like single burner campstoves. On a boat, top-heavy is not good. 8O
Just wanted to second Tony on this kind of stove. I have never found anything that worked better on a boat. I like butane better if it will be used in any sort of enclosed space. Butane it lighter than air so it will rise up and out of enclosed spaces. Propane is heavier than air and can cause problems.
Thanks Fuzz!

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:03 pm

Bogieman wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:22 am
Fuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:42 am
terrulian wrote:
Bogie,

Thanks Fuzz!
Looks like they would be easy enough to make secure on one of your seats with a little wind wall box around it to also keep the pot/pan from sliding off. Keep in mind that simple works and you will use it more often. The butane canisters at one time were hard to find but may not be the case any more. If YOU are not the cook then involve the cook for input. Make sure that it's not to simple where you can't clean up, pack away and reuse. Practice using the galley gear on land to work out any bugs before you are on the water!

Edit: I remember some of those stoves came in a metal box that also doubled as a wind block like the Coleman stoves have.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:49 pm

We've not had trouble finding butane canisters. Might have to go to camping stores. Two-burner models are also available...but I'm a sailor, not a cook. :roll: I like the fact that when it's calm I can easily move it out to the cockpit.
Tony

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:20 pm

terrulian wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:49 pm
We've not had trouble finding butane canisters. Might have to go to camping stores. Two-burner models are also available...but I'm a sailor, not a cook. :roll: I like the fact that when it's calm I can easily move it out to the cockpit.
I do a lot more camping than boating and a few years back those one burner stoves were very popular. I liked them but some of the campers were saying that finding the canisters were sometimes hard to find. I see them at the local Academy. I have a JETBOIL type single burner that uses the short fat canisters. I also have a small butane lantern that the little mantels are hard to find so when I find them I stock up. It has been replaced with rechargeable lights.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:16 am

Thank you everyone! Here is a portable galley example that was in a Practical Sailor article.
portable galley.jpg
portable galley.jpg (15.01 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:20 am

That style camp stove will make you hate life. They are difficult to balance on a hiking trail. Damn near impossible on an unstable surface. If you go for canister think about making a suspension arm that will hold the cooling surface/burner and let the canister hang. Think gimbol.

Bogieman
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Bogieman » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 am

Jaysen wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:20 am
That style camp stove will make you hate life. They are difficult to balance on a hiking trail. Damn near impossible on an unstable surface. If you go for canister think about making a suspension arm that will hold the cooling surface/burner and let the canister hang. Think gimbol.
Hi Jaysen! You're right about that model stove; thinking of going with the one Tony and others recommended. I do like this basic idea for a galley box, but would probably still modify it a bunch.