DIY Push Pole Works Great!!

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
johnstonjosh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

DIY Push Pole Works Great!!

Post by johnstonjosh » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:04 pm

Just thought I would share this. Being strapped for cash I didnt have $500+ for a push pole. I saw that there were telescoping push poles like the Super Stick. I looked into a few poles and found that a common factor is an aluminum extension with fiberglass body. The aluminum is also not round but angled (octagonal or similar) While at Home Depot I found this gem https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wooster-8-f ... 187303-_-N

It is 8-16ft, angled aluminum with fiberglass body and has positive locking, not twist lock and about $35! I spent another $5 or so buying some schedule 40 pvc fittings to make the foot. I removed the screw cap at the end (was only held on by 2 screws, and slipped my custom pvc foot on, and secured it with stainless bolts. I have found that is is plenty strong too! I have taken it out several times, and last time poled for over 30 minutes total. As long as I dont extend it all the way (leave about a ft or so) there is minimal flex.

All in all for $40 it gets the job done, and sits perfectly under the gunwales in a cutout in the frames when retracted. No expensive pole hanging off the boat while trailering, and no need for mounting brackets taking up space on the gunwales.

Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: DIY Push Pole Works Great!!

Post by Southern Gent » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Yep, I too did that with Herters duckbill end. The soft mud down the bayou in S. LA. Dockbills work best.

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:27 am

Hi,
Thank you for this contribution. I spun around this idea also for some time with a garden extension stick which has a hedge cutter attached which I hardly ever need. I want to take the hedge cutter part off and attach a cheap plastic boat hook to it with a wash peg glued to the side to pass a line to the shore.
When I have it finished I will also post a picture of it.
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:33 am

Great idea! Thank you for sharing.

I made a boat hook from a 3 piece pool cleaning pole. Works well at pulling but sucks at pushing. It has came in handy for rescues, pulling lines and such. We also use it to hold the boat when cutting log jams in strong current.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:07 am

Innovation!!! You guys are great!!! Jeff